Moto G Play Backorder?

I’d like to know why RW let me go through the whole purchase process and allowed me to order the phone and THEN decide to tell me that the phone was on backorder in an email afterward. Why not let me know that it wasn’t available when I was making the purchase? It can’t be that they “just found out” because it’s still showing it available on their page so no telling how many other people they’re doing the same thing to… I just wish they would be a little more “honest” with their practices. I used to be so quick to tell people about RW when it first started, now there’s is no way that I would feel comfortable recommending it to anyone. I can’t tell them that it’s any better than what they probably have because as of lately it is no better. It’s just another typical phone company…

1 Like

Did you order an accessory with the phone? An entire order will be held up if one component isn’t available. I suppose that isn’t made clear to the buyer during the ordering process either.

No, no accessories. Nothing but the phone. I think at this point I’ll probably just cancel the order and shop around a little more. I guess it’s better to go with a company that MIGHT have bad business practices than to go with one that DOES. And selling a phone you don’t have, and continuing to do so, is definitely bad business practices in my opinion.

1 Like

Sigh. @southpaw@rw you might want to investigate this.

Hi @scooterdog ,

I’m sorry you’ve found this experience to be unacceptable, and I understand and agree that it’s not ideal. If you open a support ticket, they will be able to investigate your order and give you the specifics as to why it went to backorder.

At this time, one of the improvements we have in our to-do list, is indeed accurate reporting of stock numbers for the online store. The challenge we’re currently facing is that as we’ve rolled out support for our phones across two carriers, the system that checks for each phone’s availability checks for the phone, but can’t check for the SIM card because that is assigned after the order is placed. It’s possible that while we have plenty of the specific phone you ordered in stock, we do not have the SIM card for it.

Again, I’m hazarding a guess. If you’d like a definite answer specific to your situation, please open a support ticket and let someone on our support team take a careful look at your order.

Yes, I’ve found the experience to unacceptable. I would imagine that most people would. Two carriers, sim cards, whatever the excuse is, it’s still just an excuse. And the whole time, they’re STILL selling a phone they don’t have. There’s no excuse for that. Bottom line, it’s just flat out bad business practices. How many other people are getting their emails saying “Thanks for purchasing our product now wait a couple of weeks (or more, who knows) while we give excuses as to why you have to wait.” Sorry if I sound a bit perturbed at this point but I feel as though it’s justified.

1 Like

I also ordered this phone and had the same results … got an email saying it is back ordered. I have gone back to the web site almost every day and do a shop for phones and select the phone and it says “ships in 2-3 days” but when I check my order it says back ordered. Bait and switch almost but definitely not completely honest and not good customer service.

1 Like

I canceled my order today, but not before submitting a help ticket first. It’s so aggravating that they still continue to sell a phone they don’t have. In their reply to the help ticket they stated “I do apologize that the system was not clear that the Moto G4 was on back order and management is aware of this issue and is looking into this issue.” Seriously? Management is aware and looking into it? How hard is it to put Out Of Stock on the page? RW is collecting all the payment information from all these people under the false assumption that they’re going to get a phone in “2-3 days” and management “is aware.” It’s pretty obvious at this point that it’s intentional.

1 Like

It’s pretty obvious at this point that it’s intentional.
@scooterdog ,

Understand how you could be put off by your experience. Unfortunately it seems that at this time RW doesn’t have all the

processes and avenues of communication in place to better address some ordering situations.

However I’m unsure what RW’s intent would be to intentionally cause customer aggravation.

The intent isn’t to cause aggravation. That’s just the fallout from what they’re doing. The intent is to get people to sign up for their phone service, and it’s working. A person might no be so inclined to sign up if they knew ahead of time that the phone isn’t in stock and they won’t get it for a couple of weeks. They might go somewhere else.

“Unfortunately it seems that at this time RW doesn’t have all the processes and avenues of communication in place to better address some ordering situations.”

Is that what they call “alternative facts?” I know they don’t have the phone, the help ticket people know they don’t have it, and they stated that management is aware, YOU now know they don’t have it, and everyone reading this knows they don’t have it. How much more do you need to FINALLY stop selling a phone you don’t have? It’s almost comical at this point.

1 Like

agreed and it in part because republic has 2 version of the phone in question

(see Republic Wireless Coverage Update and CDMA Availability)

a CDMA configured version (with a CDMA SIM to access 4G LTE, and one package with a GSM SIM for there GSM partner

Republic is not letting people know which one will be shipped out (as they know best and will ship one base on what they think will cover you the best while not telling you which one you will get)

as long as there are some in one pile or the other (or both) the Store shows it as in stock

if Republic only has CDMA versions when they select you to have GSM then you get the notice that it’s on back order (or vice-versa)

(@southpaw@rw is this statement basically correct and if so this needs to be communicated that the network of the is the reason and before the checkout is complete and anything less is backhanded and pushing false advertisement (2-3 days becomes weeks people are ordering phones for a need communication and to delay like this is unacceptable IMO) (and in my option needs to be able to select which network as there will always be coverage concerns))

@scooterdog Jan 31, 2017 9:59 AM

The intent isn’t to cause aggravation. That’s just the fallout from what they’re doing. The intent is to get people to sign up for their phone service, and it’s working. A person might no be so inclined to sign up if they knew ahead of time that the phone isn’t in stock and they won’t get it for a couple of weeks. They might go somewhere else.

Thanks for taking the time to reply again. RW has heard this before and your additional comments may hasten the need change.

Most of us here responding are just customers/member as you and I are. I’ve been with RW since 2013 and confident that’s not their intent. All of us understand the store/ordering issues should have been fixed by now and not trying to make excuses.

Hi @scooterdog -

First off, I apologize for the confusing communication. After taking a look I confirmed that the reason you got the email is not because the device is out of stock (we’ve got plenty of Moto G4 Plays available!) but rather the SIM card needed for the device itself was unavailable. We’re working quickly to rectify the situation and ensure that it does not happen again.

Update (2/3/2017): Our changes are now live. You’ll now see a conservative estimate of when we can ship/deliver a device (in some cases it might get to you earlier than we promise, but never later).

-IK

Thank you khalifa for looking into this. Unfortunately it didn’t really help much. In fact, it kinda made it worse. So the reason they sold the phone and couldn’t deliver on it is because they don’t have sim cards? Does that mean that if I had purchased my phone somewhere else like some had suggested (Amazon for instance), that I still wouldn’t be able to get service? I apologize, but I’m not all that versed in how sim cards work. All I know is that I purchased the phone with the impression that it shipped in 2-3 days only to immediately after the purchase be told that it wasn’t in stock. Numerous people from RW have told me different reasons as to why, but in the end the customer still doesn’t get what they purchased. They all agree that it is an issue that they are “looking into”, but meanwhile they STILL continue to sell the phone.

1 Like

Hi @scooterdog,

Republic Wireless offers a hybrid service with Wi-Fi calling and texting, with cellular service for when you are away from Wi-Fi. For the cellular side of things, we have two different cellular partners. When you order a phone, our system analyzes your coverage area and selects the one that is going to provide you the best coverage experience.

Your current phone uses Sprint for cellular service. Looking at your service area, that is indeed the best coverage option we have available for you. While we still have the phone you ordered in stock, we are currently out of stock on the SIM card that provides service in Sprint coverage areas.

We could have simply sent you the phone with a different SIM card in it, however that would not be ideal, as you’d then get a phone and find that your coverage is downgraded compared to what you’ve experienced with your existing phone.

If you bought the phone elsewhere and bought a SIM card on Amazon, you would have this downgraded coverage experience, as we can’t yet provide Sprint SIM cards for phones bought elsewhere.

Our online store is not able to indicate that we are out of one specific SIM card. It sees only that we have phones in stock. We are trying to find a solution for that, but I know that answer does not put a phone into your hands today. We are also doing everything possible to expedite the process to get these backordered phones to the people waiting for them.

(Edited upon realizing an earlier post indicates the order has been cancelled.)

Thank you for trying to explain this to me. I’m still having a little trouble understanding some, if not most of it. Are you saying that I could still purchase another phone from a third party, but that my service would be subpar? And does this only apply to people in my area? I wasn’t aware that I could get a sim card for your service from anywhere but here. Also, why does the system wait until after all the payment information is given to check for that, when on the phone ordering page it checks and tells me “Great news, the Moto G PLAY has coverage in your area.” Wouldn’t that be the ideal time to tell the customer that there are no sim cards in stock for that area? Again, I’m a little slow on understanding how this all works (or rather doesn’t work, in this case) but I’m thinking there has got to be a better way. I take back what I stated earlier about it being intentional. Perhaps it’s just sloppy handling of the situation.

1 Like

You’re doing a great job of understanding it!

Are you saying that I could still purchase another phone from a third party, but that my service would be subpar? .

We sell our SIM card on our BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) page for phones that people buy from third parties and bring to our service. The same SIM card is available at Amazon. When your purchase the SIM card from either location, it is only compatible with a cellular carrier that, in your situation, does not have great coverage in your area. It’s not the case that this specific carrier is “subpar,” only that you’re not in their ideal coverage area. For best results, we really want you to have the Sprint version of our SIM card.

At this time, activating the SIM card that would give you Sprint coverage is something that requires some back-end engineering, so it’s not something we can make available the same way we sell those other SIM cards. We can only sell the phones that will work on Sprint coverage through our online store. (For now, we hope.)

Also, why does the system wait until after all the payment information is given to check for that, when on the phone ordering page it checks and tells me “Great news, the Moto G PLAY has coverage in your area.” Wouldn’t that be the ideal time to tell the customer that there are no sim cards in stock for that area?
The system that checks our inventory checks only the phone itself, not which SIM card will go into it. While the coverage checker determines which phones have coverage in your area, our system doesn’t actually assign that SIM card until much later in the process, after your order is placed. I really don’t have all the ins and outs as to why. As I type, work is being done to develop a way to have our online store represent possible wait time more accurately, and if I understand what they are describing correctly, I would expect to see the change implemented quickly enough that it will correctly represent the G4 Play status sometime during this particular SIM card out-of-stock situation.

I take back what I stated earlier about it being intentional. Perhaps it’s just sloppy handling of the situation.
Thank you. (I think?)

We appreciate your comments on this topic, and a lot has gone on yesterday and today toward researching and implementing a solution to make sure we aren’t telling members the phone ships in 2-3 days, only to turn around and tell them their order has gone to back-order. We recognize that is not the kind of customer experience we should be delivering and we’re eager to make this improvement. If you should decide to re-order, please let me know before you do so.

1 Like

Thank you again for trying to explain this further for me. While I do kinda get what you’re trying to say, it’s still a bit overwhelming. Sim cards, CDMA, carriers. It’s all starting to make my brain hurt. At the end of the day it sounds like you’re just not quite ready yet. Even when I follow a link provided from your Facebook page (Coverage Check | Republic Wireless ) it takes me to a page that tells me the “Bring You Own Phone” is not available in your area and provides a link to shop phones. That link then takes me to your phone page where it tells me, again, “Good news! These phones have coverage in your area.” And we all know how that worked out.

and a lot has gone on yesterday and today toward researching and implementing a solution to make sure we aren’t telling members the phone ships in 2-3 days, only to turn around and tell them their order has gone to back-order.

I’m glad I could be of help in getting this started.

Thank you again for your time, but I think it would be best for me to wait until you get things better organized there.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer