Moto G Power, bring your own phone question

Here I am again, seems like every few years.
My Moto G5s Plus is not longer able to make the upgrades for some apps, including the Republic app. I am guessing it is again time for an upgrade.
So I found on the bring your own phone list that I can bring a Moto G Power (Not the 2021) to Republic. However, for 30 or so minutes, I have tried to find a model number for the phone being sold by Motorola, but can not find it any place on the web page. I feel like this is what happened before when I tried to purchase a phone from them and bring it here…deja vous… :crazy_face:

Here is the link, I am leaning towards this phone because the camera seems better,
although I do see the new 2021 is listed as a 48mp in the small print it is actually has a resolution of 12mp…so the 2020 version is 16mp, which seems better…although I doubt I even know what I’m talking about …lol.
so I might be interested in a different phone if one is recommend, but not more than around the $200 or $250 price range although lower is better. I don’t necessarily have to have a huge screen, I like the size of what I have.
and of course, I always have to have a special SIM card for my area…
sigh…why can’t our phones last forever?
thanks for any help

I have two “2020” G Power phones in the household. XT-2041-4. Fully supported.

I’m very happy with the phone’s features and performance.

Hi @janelle.bku4gn,

The Moto G Power you’ve linked is compatible with our network and you can request a CDMA SIM card by following these steps: How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help

What kind of issue are you having when trying to update the Republic app? We continue to support the Moto G5S+.

It just says it “can’t update the app. Try again if it still doesn’t work, see common ways to fix the problem.” I did the “common ways” and it still did not load. I have no idea. I also moved all my photos and videos to the SD card to be sure there was more than enough space…nope, won’t update. It won’t update my Famous Footwear app either.
I like my phone and don’t necessarily want to upgrade if I don’t have to, but if it isn’t working for some reason, I want to do it before it stops working for some reason.

Hi @janelle.bku4gn, :slight_smile:

We cannot be sure what you tried without you listing it out. :thinking:

I’m betting we can fix this issue :wink:

Please look over this article and try the different suggestions from Google:

Play Store won’t open, load, or download apps - Google Play Help

• Take a look at your storage. I believe you need at least 10% free for the service to work correctly.

• Try removing the SD card and updating.

• Clear the Play Store cache.

I meant the list from Google that it gives you when you can’t download the app
…I did not try the others items at the very end of the list after, “if you are still having trouble”
I did move the pictures to the SD card so I have 20.37 gb Of 30 left, so that has been improved.
If the phone is too old, I will just replace it.

• Check that you have a strong Wi-Fi or mobile data connection
    First, make sure you have a strong internet connection. It’s best if you can connect to a Wi-Fi network. If you don’t have access to Wi-Fi, make sure you have a strong mobile data connection. Then try your download again.
  • Clear the cache & data of the Play Store
    This gives the app a fresh start and can help fix issues.
  • Restart your device
    If you still can’t download after you clear the cache & data of the Play Store, restart your device.

If you’re still having trouble

• Check your storage space
  • Check your data connection
  • Check your SD card
  • Clear cache & data from Download Manager
  • Clear cache & data from Google Play Services
  • Uninstall & reinstall Play Store updates
  • Check for Android system updates
  • Remove & re-add your Google account to your device

I’d go ahead and try the items after, “If you’re still having trouble.”

It sounds like you’ve already checked your storage space.

I’m not sure why they listed “check your data connection” again, when it was the first thing at the top. :woman_shrugging:

They aren’t very clear as to what they want you to check about your SD card, though I think the problem here might be if you’ve formatted the SD card as “internal” memory and it has failed, then you would definitely have trouble updating any apps saved to the SD card. If you’ve never formatted the SD card as internal memory, you could just remove the SD card and see if you can now update the Republic app, then return the SD card to the phone after that quick test.

The two items to “clear cache” would definitely be worth trying - no personal data is lost there.

Uninstalling and re-installing play store updates might help, but you may have to check your settings, like whether you want to download apps over cell to make sure they weren’t all set back to default.

Then last two wouldn’t hurt to try, either.

2 Likes

Each of those bullet points have a drop down with info on it but I didn’t include it. The SD card one just said to eject it and remove it and trying an update. I did this and my SD card is sitting here on my desk. I did not set it as internal because I wanted to be able to use it in a new phone or where ever.
I have done everything on the list and it appears that using the “factory version” of google play store has allowed the update ! It has also allowed the update for Famous Footwear app, who would have guessed.
so I am going to reinstall my SD card and see if everything continues to work, which it should since I don’t have apps on it.

As far as a new phone, would the advice be to upgrade? I know my phone is older, I just never know how long it will continue to work.
thanks for your help!

@janelle.bku4gn, that’s not a call anyone other than you can make. At some point, the effort required to keep an older phone updated, having to charge it twice a day, and running out of memory will help you determine that it’s time for a new phone. We still have members using the phone they bought in 2012! If you were using the Moto E1, I would be more likely to say, “Yes. It really is time for a new phone.” But the Moto G5S+ is still a very usable phone.

Perhaps it’s time to research what you want and start watching for a really good deal so that you’re prepared when a good opportunity comes along.

2 Likes

that is good to know, I see that now with that issue fixed, it has updated all of my apps for me. good or bad I guess

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer