Moto G Stylus - Service area - cell coverage

What phone do you have? Moto X Pure, Moto G7 Power and Moto G7 Stylus

What plan are you on? My Choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? 2 gigs of data plus talk and text

Issue Description

Our republic wireless phones always had decent data coverage in our area - seems like it was about 6 months ago or so when I noticed it would show roaming when I tried to use cell data, instead of wifi. I am wondering if something changed or if there are different sim cards for different areas. Is it still Sprint or is it using T-mobile now? Zip code is 54981 (cdma).

If you have a CDMA SIM card, you’re still on Sprint. That being said, Sprint was acquired by T-Mobile in April. For a look at what you should expect for coverage, you may want to reference the latest Sprint coverage maps (https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?kiosk). In your area I see a lot of extended LTE coverage (which may be indicated as roaming on the phone display).

Are you noticing any problems with your service other than the phone displaying that it’s roaming?

Thank you for the information. When our phones indicate roaming they don’t work well - like texting or web searches. It must be because of the extended LTE coverage issue, which apparently didn’t use to be an issue. It looks like we have no control over that. Darn. We may have to look at a different option for phones.

Thanks again for the information.

Web searches shouldn’t work at all when roaming.

The T-Mobile & Sprint consolidation continues and the way this affects our coverage hasn’t fully settled.

1 Like

Sending and receiving texts should work while roaming. Please make sure chat features are disabled if you are using Messages by Google:

We shouldn’t be roaming at our house. That’s the problem. We have had Republic Wireless for years and never had a phone indicate that we were roaming at home.

Thanks for this information.
I had a friend tell me to check the network setting on my phone. In settings, the Preferred Network type was set to global. I did a test with LTE and with 3G and the 3G seems to work best in our location.

Did you try to update your PRL (Preferred Roaming List) that was outlined above?

the instructions listed for updating PRL listed were not for my phone - my phone is Android 10. I searched instructions for updating android 10 and they don’t appear to be accurate for the Settings choices in my phone.

Sorry, I missed the 10 update and have added it into my comment above.

• If this doesn’t find it for you I would suggest that you use the Spotlight search (the little magnifying glass) that is within the settings and search for ‘PRL’
  • If you still have no luck, please post the specific phone your are trying to update and then someone with the same phone can test and provide you further help

Thanks.
I had already looked up the android 10 instructions - I don;t have Update or System Update as listed in the instructions. I did search for PRL in settings on the phone without any luck. This phone is the Moto G Stylus.

Hi @sarao.kp3qq9,

Before risking sending you further down the troubleshooting rabbit hole, I’d like to confirm some things. You mention in your original post being on CDMA. Would you be kind enough to confirm that on your phone(s) as follows:

In your most recent post you mention “this phone” is a Moto G Stylus. In your original post, you reference a Moto X Pure, a Moto G7 Power and a Moto G7 Stylus. There is no Moto G7 Stylus, so you have a Moto G Stylus and also a Moto X Pure and Moto G7 Power in the household? And, all have active service?

Finally, you mention lack of cell data. Does talk & text messaging work in these roaming areas?

Thanks for your message. yes, my Phone info says CDMA.
Yes, Moto G Power and Moto G Stylus - all are active. Nothing seems to work very well at all when we are not on WIFI, and it use to - that’s the issue.

Hi @sarao.kp3qq9,

This doesn’t appear to be something the Community would be able to solve for you. If you’ve checked your network settings and are sure you have data enabled and it hasn’t suddenly been blocked by the addition of some sort of app, then it would seem to be a coverage issue.

If you haven’t done so already, would you please write to our Coverage team at coverage@republicwireless.com and see if they could look into what might have changed and what solutions may be available for you?

Message an
Expert customer