Moto G3 Republic unlocked phone can't use phone on Cricket

I have MotoG3 which I purchased from RW as an unlocked phone. I am trying to use it on Cricket Wireless as a backup phone for someone on Cricket, using a Cricket SIM card. I have done a factory reset on the phone, and once the Cricket SIM is inserted (and activated with Cricket), the RW app comes up and wants me to activate with RW. The Cricket SIM card returns an error. I cannot uninstall any RW apps on the phone after the factory reset of the phone. My question is: How can I clean this phone of RW so that I can use it as an unlocked phone?

the Republic Moto G 3rd has a custom ROM to handle the Hybrid WiFi First Cell back up network and can (will) not work on any other carrier

further more the Moto G 3rd that Republic used was a CDMA phone and does not have the bans of GSM need for Cricket (a GSM carrier based of AT&T towers)

This is not something that can be done … the Legacy phones on RW used a proprietary ROM (Read Only Memory) and this can’t be changed … the phone could be sold on one of the 3rd party sellers to recoup some value.

That’s great. So why did I have to pay for a RW SIM card?

The RW sim is only for LTE access on the RW Moto G 3rd gen and it should have come with the phone as it is tied to that device.

The RW Moto G3 (XT1548) is not an unlocked device. It was never advertised or sold as such.
Are u certain u have the Moto G 3rd gen and not one of the other models?
The build number of the device would have RW or mention of the custom rom in it if it is a RW custom phone. Supported phones

are you sure you have the Moto G 3rd
or is it the 4th

or is it the5th

To add to the pictures above: Moto G (3rd Gen)
Android Settings :settingsicon: / About Phone
Model number will show Moto G (3rd generation) and Hardware SKU = XT1548

Hi @springy4,

Without knowing more about your situation, that’s not something the Community will be able to answer, because you’re right, the details are not lining up. Republic Wireless does not charge for SIM cards for the Moto X (1st and 2nd Gen), Moto G (1st and 3rd Gen) and Moto E (1st and 2nd Gen). Those phones have a unique ROM and can be used only on on Republic’s service.
The phones for which we sell SIM cards can be moved to other services. To remove the RW app from those phones, first remove the RW SIM, then perform a factory reset.

Please check the phone’s model number in the Android Settings menu to confirm which phone you’re working with.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.