Moto G4 32GB won't send/receive text messages on cell

I have the moto g 4 32gb. For some reason I am suddenly not able to receive text messages or send text messages unless I am in wifi. It just says that there is a new message to download and it wont download until I am in wifi. Can you help me out?

Moderator’s note: Title edited for length.

Is it possible you are roaming and have turned roaming data off?

Troubleshooting Texting Issues

While In Your messaging app Have you looked at the settings. I know for the G3 there are 2 settings for auto retrieve one is auto retrieve (everywhere) and then Roaming Auto retrieve- to retrieve while roaming. Mine is set to auto retrieve and I’ve not had troubles.

I am on the talk text and wifi plan. Will turning the roaming data on charge me for using data? Or is that something different?

I am on the talk text and wifi plan. Will turning the roaming data on charge me for using data? Or is that something different?

3.0 plans have no user accessible data but Republic needs some data (not charged too you the end user) so turning it on in the android settings will not add to you bill (it just allows the Republic App access to send text and route calls

No, you are not charged for roaming data used for messaging.

Like the others have said no not charged on talk text and wifi plan. I was pointing out the settings area for you to see if it affected your issue. That is all I was showing. I did not know if it would help or not. I hope it did.

Message an
Expert customer