Moto G4 Play screen goes blank when I open Messages app

I have a Moto G4 Play, Android 7, and when I open Messages, the screen goes black, but the navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen and the info bar at the top of the screen still show and work. I have to press the square navigation button to shrink the app so I can close it by pressing the X in the corner of the window when it shrinks. All other phone features and apps seem to work. No new apps have been installed recently.
For what it matters, I have the 1GB data plan.

You might try clearing the app cache, or the cache partition. To clear the Messages app cache:

1. Touch Image

2. Touch and hold the app icon, then drag the icon to:

• App info - To find out more about the app’s data usage, to clear its data cache, force stop, or disable the app at the top of the screen.

Info on clearing the cache partition can be found at:

Thank you. Its my daughter’s phone, so we did not clear the data, but she tried clearing the cache partition, it did not work. She stopped at Best Buy on her way home from work and purchased a new Pixel 4A. Then, a little after 5:30 this evening, the phone downloaded an update on its own for Messenger, and now its working. I assume someone here at Republic saw the problem and sent the fix. If this is the case, thank you very much! Since its working, now we will have a backup phone in case one of the 4 we have as a family goes down.

Hi @brucew.o1so9j,

While I appreciate your trust in our company, Republic is completely unable to force downloads of apps or operating systems to any phone.

Thank you, though, for following up to let us know that an update to Messages solved the problem.

Your up and running, but you mentioned the ‘update to Messenger’ and @southpaw explained that was not done by Republic, however please be aware that ‘Messenger’ is not what we normally see Google Messages called, and the icon you would see is :messages:
I would look at the Google Play Store and check what has been recently updated
Google Play Store / :menu: Menu / My apps & games / Installed / Sort by Last Updated

Message an
Expert customer