Moto G4 randomly shuts down when not in use

What phone do you have? Moto G4

What plan are you on? 1G

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? has data

Issue Description

My phone is having two issues. First, it will randomly shut off when I am not using it (for the most part that is when it happens- it might have happened once or twice when it was being used). This is really annoying when I am out and about because my spouse will try to call me to let me know to meet at the front of the store with kids and can’t get a hold of me. I will keep waiting and waiting for the call, finally look at my phone and see that it had shut itself off. I can turn it back on though, thankfully. It isn’t a battery issue because when I turn it back on the battery will still be where it was at.

A separate issue that has only happened a handful of times is that my phone will say Google assistant is trying to do something and the whole screen zooms in a shakes back and forth and it will click on whatever you have open and I even have trouble shutting it down when this happens (touchscreen is unresponsive and so I just use the power button on the side). One time it called someone while it was doing it. It is kind of weird and creepy when it happens because it is like my phone is possessed.

I am trying to avoid doing a factory reset. Ideas?

Hi @lauram.gnewih,

The Moto G4 has a quirk commonly known as a “ghost touch issue” that is often described as “possessed.” There are some workarounds listed here in Community that might help:

The issue with the phone randomly shutting down could be a side effect of this ghost-touch issue, or could actually be a sign of an aging battery, even though there is still battery power left when you reboot the phone.

It can also be the sign of an app that is stressing the phone’s processor to the point that it needs to shut down as an act of self-preservation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer