Moto G4 vs Huawei Ascend 5W

The short? Moto G4 is a clear winner. You’re welcome.

I started my Republic Wireless journey in January 2017. I bought my daughter a Huawei Ascend 5W. I got a Moto G4 for myself. My wife kept her Samsung Galaxy S4 and kept her Verizon service.

So 10 months in–what have we learned?

First, we learned that RW really works! At least where we live and travel. Calling & texting over WiFi REALLY works. It works well. We don’t (or rarely?) notice issues switching between WiFi and the Sprint Cellular network. I say rarely because a couple of times I noticed some short fading while I thought a transition was happening, but I can’t be sure it was due to a network switch.

For years before getting my Moto G4, I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 then S4. I can say my Moto G4 is the best phone I’ve ever owned. Part of my satisfaction probably comes from the robustness of the Motorola/Lenovo hardware and part is the fact that they don’t mess up the Android software too much with crap like Samsung and others do. My Moto G4 has really served me well.

What about the Huawei Ascend 5W? My daughter has loved the phone. She thinks the fingerprint unlock feature is way cool. This is a feature advantage over the Moto G4. HOWEVER, twice during vacation travel, I have had service while my daughter has not. Same RW service–the Moto G4 works and the Ascend 5W does not. One trip was to Colorado mountains and the other to the backwoods of Arkansas. On both trips, her phone would show signal but simply would not work–no calling, texting, or data. During these periods, my phone would work. I actually turned on my hotspot so she could connect her phone to get service.

This is unfortunate–especially if we did not have the Moto G4 along. We would have assumed the issue is Republic Wireless or Sprint service.

I’ve read that doing a hard full restart (press and hold the power button for a long time until the phone shuts down to restart) can resolve the “signal but not working” problem. Note this did not solve the issue we had with the Ascend 5W.

On our trip to Colorado, we were glad to have my wife’s Verizon service along as there were times my daughter and I did not have service while my wife did. However, more often we’ve been glad to have RW when we find ourselves somewhere with no cell service for anyone but good WiFi. For example, we spend a week each year at a resort outside of Puerto Morelos in Mexico. No cell service, but good WiFi. RW phones work great!

That’s my experience. Your mileage may vary. If trying to choose between an Ascend 5W and Moto G4, the Moto G4 wins easily.

Change from Moto X 1st Gen to Huawei

just to note the Huawei Ascend 5W is a GSM only phone and is on the Republic GSM partner (IT-Mobile) while the Moto G4 is a supports both CDMA or GSM and most likely on the CDMA partner (Sprint)

WHAT?! I had no idea. Nothing I read or was told suggested anything other than Sprint being the cellular carrier for RW in my area. I knew other carriers were used in other parts of the country.

If this is true, and you sound like you know what you are talking about, our difference in coverage is less of a mystery. Still strange when her phone shows signal but does not work. Note we don’t have any service issues with her phone in the Kansas City metro.

Sprint may be the preferred partner in your area but there are a few phones that can not be used on Sprint as they don’t have a CDMA radio
the Huawei Ascend 5W is one of these Phones along with Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy J3, the Moto Z 1st Gen, the Moto Z 1st Gen Play

New phones are having a technical issue to activate on CDMA (even though they have the CDMA Radio) these phones include the Moto E4, Moto E4 Plus, Moto Z2 Play, Moto G5S Plus, the Moto X4, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL
these phones will have CDMA option soon,

as for it some times doesn’t want to work even with signal, this could be lots of reason and more trouble shooting in that are may be need (it could be the tower that had an issue)

Hi @Troywolf

Here is a link to the Republic document that provide more information on coverage, carriers and phones:

Republic Wireless Coverage – Republic Help