Moto g5 no longer connects to 4G data

My RW Moto g5 is no longer connecting to 4G data, only 3G. My husband has same phone with RW and where his phone displays LTE, mine displays 3G. Is there any way to fix this?

Hi Kim, Welcome to the community! Can you please open the Republic App on your phone, click the gear at the top, then about and tell us what it says there under SIM type? Can you also share your ZIP code?

1 Like

SIM Type CDMA (CSIM) zip code is 50613
My phone has, until the past 2 weeks, has operated on 4G.

1 Like

I would try a Republic activation reset (this will reset the link to Republic only) by dialing *#*#8647#*#* (*#*#VOIP#*#*)
also can reset Republic connection in the republic app How to Reset Republic Connections on 3.0 Phones – Republic Help

1 Like

Generally, CDMA coverage in Cedar Falls looks robust. There are, however, small patches of roaming coverage in and around Cedar Falls. If one happens to be in one of these roaming areas, there will be no data access for Internet use. There are also patches of “Fair signal” where there may be a fallback to 3G. Tower congestion on 4G might cause a fallback to 3G as well. I appreciate it seems simplistic but often merely restarting it will refresh the phone’s connection to cellular towers.

Beyond that, if @drm186’s suggestions don’t get the job done, you might try updating your phones’s data profile as described by Republic here: How to Update the Data Profile on Motorola, Google or Nexus Phones Running Android Oreo or Higher – Republic Help.

2 Likes

I’ve had my Moto G5 plus for over a year, so I’m familiar with the 4G coverage in my city. That is not is the issue. My phone displaying only 3G is operating differently than normal.

I did RW app reset. Didn’t affect the data connection: it’s still on 3G.

I attempted the second suggested reset, my phone does not display the option to tap the last 3 steps:
Carrier settings
Update device config
OK

1 Like

To confirm we’re understanding correctly, you don’t see the options or tapping them does nothing? I believe you mean the former but wish to be certain.

Presuming you don’t see these options, please tell us what you do see for options at Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile network? Additionally, at Settings -> System -> About phone; what is said for Android version? While looking there, the Build number would be useful information as well.

It might be the phone is operating differently or it might be the network. Cellular coverage is not necessarily static. There might be an issue with 4G coverage on the tower or towers in your area your phone is connected to. Sadly, as Republic doesn’t own the cellular network but rather relies on its network partner, this can be more difficult to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Since my last post, I submitted a help ticket and was given a code to type in to accomplish the resetting of cell settings.

After executing this reset, my phone was fixed! Happy to report the phone now connects to 4G!

I appreciate all the help and suggestions!

2 Likes

Was that code *#*#72786#*#* per chance? If so, I was getting there but wanted to see if the slightly less radical step of updating your phone’s data profile fixed matters first. Regardless, happy to hear the issue is solved! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes that was the code.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer