Moto G5 Plus No Service Need Sim Card help

What phone do you have?
Moto G5 Plus
What plan are you on?
Not sure
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Includes Data

Issue Description

My girlfriend upgraded from her old phone to her new phone which is a Moto G5 +. Her coverage tanked. She now doesn’t have service in many places she used to and its almost like having an ipod at this point. Ive been doing research and, for her zip code, GSM coverage is great, CDMA is poor and non existent in some areas near her. I have a feeling her phone was defaulted to a CDMA SIM card.
I have 2 questions.

1. How can I tell whether she is CDMA or GSM
  2. If she IS CDMA, can it be switched to GSM (and How)?

what was her old phone?

cdma only the legacy phone

I THINK it was a G3… Not sure I will let you know when she tells me.

What does “cdma only the legacy phone” mean?

If her old phone was a Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2 she was on CDMA. The likely reality is the opposite of what you describe. She was likely on CDMA coverage with good results and is now on GSM with lousy coverage. You can verify this on her phone by opening the Republic App, hitting the gear, then About and looking at SIM type.

Assuming that I’m correct and her new phone is on GSM. You’ll want to follow the directions here to request a CDMA SIM: How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I would just be surprised because of the coverage maps… They show the opposite

Maps can be well, misleading. Either way, the switch can be accomplished. If it turns out that she is indeed CDMA activated and needs a GSM SIM, that’s an even easier problem to solve. Just come back here and we can get you taken care of. :slight_smile:

Let us know how it turns out.

@joshuat.4pdig5 Any update on the coverage situation?

GF got a new Sim card (CDMA) sent to her and phone has much better service, thanks for all the help