Moto G5 Plus will not call out or receive WIFI calls

What phone do you have?
Moto G5 Plus

What plan are you on?
3.0 talk, text and data
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Yes

Issue Description

We have two Moto G5 Plus phones that are having similar problems. We cannot place outgoing calls, or receive incoming calls through WIFI. We are in a remote area in the mountains of NC and have NO cell service, therefore we are dead in the water. Our phones say “On WIFI, calls over cell, messages and data over WIFI”. Messaging works, data over WIFI works. When we try to place a call, the phone will only try to place the call through the cellular network.

We have tried restarting both phones numerous times. I made calls several time earlier this week. Don’t know exactly when problem started.

Thanks for any help you can give.

From the Notification, “On WIFI, calls over cell, messages and data over WIFI” it sounds like it did what it could.

• Do you have access to the router?
    • If so, then power it off wait a min or so, and then power it back on.
    • If that didn’t help or you don’t have access to the router then continue.
  • Restart the phones. now go into Airplane Mode, and then turn the WiFi back on, let us know if that helps

I did Refresh the Republic Wireless Activation on one phone and it started working about 20 minutes later. The refresh did not help out immediately, but started working about 20 minutes later as stated. I never did refresh the 2nd phone, but it started working at about the same time as the 1st phone. Stay tuned.
Never did reboot the wifi router yet. I am going to leave things as they are, and see if thing continue to work. I will try other steps if phones quit again.

Thank you.

1 Like

There’s an easier way to force it to make Wi-Fi calls unless the situation is so bad that it can’t. Turn on airplane mode, and then manually turn Wi-Fi back on. With only a Wi-Fi connection, and no cellular connection, the phone will make the calls over Wi-Fi unless it is truly unable to such as in a situation where the necessary ports are blocked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer