Moto G5 Plus won't turn on when fully charged

What phone do you have? Moto 5G Plus
What plan are you on? Talk, text, data
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? yes

Issue Description

After powering off my phone, I have been unable to turn it back on. The battery symbol shows 100% charged and remains displayed for about 10 seconds before going dark (and will do same repeatedlyif I press the up/down volume button). I have tried the following:
Hold Down Volume button together with Power button for 120 seconds (nothing happens) and then pressing the Power button
Hold Up Volume button together with Power button for 120 seconds (nothing happens) and then pressing the Power button.
Hold Power Button for 120 seconds (nothing happens)
I’ve done all these things while the phone is plugged into the wall and while it’s plugged into my computer

1 Like

Hi @scott1985
Thanks for the feed on what you have tried.
How about this? Plug your phone into the wall with a different charger and or cord then leave it sit for an hour. After the hour hold that power button for 2-4 minutes. I know it sounds like a lot of time but sometimes the phones are stubborn. Check back with an answer if it worked.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re having this problem. If the battery is fully charged, there is no need and no benefit to trying to start the phone while it is plugged in to a charger. If there is an issue with the charging port, it could be more of a hindrance. I’m not suggesting there is an issue with the charging port. At least, none that is apparent at the present time.

I would suggest holding the power button for 2 minutes while NOT plugged in to a charger.

The bottom line is, if the phone won’t boot up by pressing the appropriate buttons, there is something very wrong with the phone, and it is unlikely that the phone is going to start at all.

If the phone is still under warranty, you should contact Motorola warranty services right away. You may also want to check the enhanced services that come with the credit card you purchased the phone with. Some credit cards offer warranty extensions on phones purchased with that card.

4 Likes

Thanks to both of you. I’ve tried holding the power button with the phone plugged in and not plugged in (for 120 full seconds) and no luck even after using a different charger. The phone is charged to 100%.
I’ll do as you suggest (beachb) and contact Republic as well as my credit card company.

2 Likes

I did not see this in the thread
do you per chance have a case on the phone
and if so could you remove the case and try turning it on again…

Doctor,
The phone had no case.

sounds like something is fried
so repair or replace…

1 Like

Thanks, Doc. You’re right. I have a help ticket in. We’ll see what happens.

beachb!!!
I just wanted to say “thank you” because even though I think that the phone is under warranty (although once I return my phone within 14 days of them sending me a new one, they are going to deduct from that new phone the damage to the phone I return to the tune of maybe $135 on a phone that I bought last June for $248!), I did take your advice and called my credit card company to see if they could help me. I’m going to wait and see what happens with RW, but my credit card company says that I do have a warranty extension benefit on my card which doubles the time of the warranty and would not kick in until after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. An online search shows the warranty to be one year, so my credit card won’t be able to help me this time, but if it were between 12 and 24 months, it would. I appreciate the information.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer