Moto G5+ suddenly won't show correct charge?

What phone do you have? Moto G5+

What plan are you on? Unlimited plan w/3GB data

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?

Issue Description

My phone has just decided to go haywire on me. It no longer wants to show a charge higher than 34%, shows as charging but never gets above that. My computer will no longer connect to the phone. It shows as being there, but doesn’t see anything on the device. Help?

I found this link to the Motorola help portal:

I’m really not sure what’s going on. Judging by the age of your phone, it could be a battery issue (though battery issues are typically indicated by fast discharge). You might also try cleaning the charging port, replacing the charger, etc…

2 Likes

Typically but not always. Failing to be able to get to higher voltage levels and therefore showing a lower charge level is also not unusual. I’d bet on battery failure.

I’m also betting on battery failure but there’s probably no harm in trying a battery calibration –

1 Like

With my Moto G5+, I’ve noticed that the TurboCharger hangs at about 65%, but using an older slow charger makes it to 100% every night.

1 Like

This seems to be the accurate response. The phone charges, but does not show the correct charge unless I restart the phone. If I put it on charge overnight, it will likely show whatever the number was when I put it on charge for the night. Then, I reboot the phone, and it shows 99%. Never 100%. So, is this a problem with the battery, or with the phone? I’ve considered getting a new phone, but if I can just replace the battery, well maybe I can make it last longer…

Hi @jeffkmills,

Did you try the battery calibration @freddyp linked?

Yes, I performed the battery calibration. It consists of 1) rebooting the phone; and 2) charging to 100%. As previously noted, I have restarted the phone numerous times, and left it charging, but it never reaches 100%, only 99%. My phone is not one where I can remove the battery and re-insert it.

Hi @jeffkmills,

If you open the “Device Help” app.
Then tap on “Device diagnosis”.
Then tap “Hardware test”
Then “Battery”

What result do you see?
It should look something like this:

I don’t get that screen. Under Battery, I get 56%, About 1h 38m left Phone - not charging
Usage details button
Last full charge 13h 51m ago
Screen usage since full charge 3h 24m

Power management
Battery Saver Off/Turn on automatically at 5% battery
Battery percentage Show battery percentage in status bar
Adaptive brightness Optimize brightness level for available light
Sleep After 1 minute of inactivity

App usage since full charge
(various apps listed by percentage)

Usage details button - advanced battery usage
56% plus a graph of usage during the day.

Breakdown since last full charge
Apps 115%
System 21%
Mobile network standby 10%
Phone idle 4%
Bluetooth 2%
Wi-Fi 1%

The information you are listing looks to be from the Battery section of “settings”.

Please look in your apps for “Device Help”. The app looks like this:

Then follow the instructions to run the hardware test on the battery:

I have no such app on my phone. Is there someplace to download it?

That is very strange… your phone should have that installed :thinking:

But, if you still can’t find it, you can get it here: :slight_smile:

1 Like

A forced reboot is slightly different than simply rebooting the phone, and may make a difference in the process.

You might also try this different series of battery calibration steps:

Have you tried a variety of chargers?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer