Moto G5 XT1671

I’ve been closely following Motorola’s introduction of new models and it looks like the XT1671 will work on Republic, but I’d want official confirmation from Republic. Based upon the specs at Motorola Moto G5 Dual SIM LTE AM 32GB XT1671 (Motorola Cedric) | Device Database | PDAdb.net , it is for the US market and (based upon T-Mobile - United States - Wireless Frequency Bands and Device Compatibility ) supports all the bands/protocols (and more) that T-Mobile uses. It is now on Ebay for $250.

Personally I like this model (vs. the XT1687) for it’s smaller size, removable battery, and dual SIM. I wish it had dual-band WiFi, but the specs don’t indicate that.

However, I’m not eager to give up my perfectly fine Moto X (1st gen) and the grandfathered $10/month plan, so I’m willing to wait.

the Moto G5 is yet released for the US market (and Motorola has stated that the G5 will not be sold here only the G5 Plus

Republic needs to approve any phone before it can be used on it’s hybrid network (which is a limited number of phones Phones_Supported_on_Clear_Choice_Plans)

until the phones released and republic announces support we can only guess (my guess if release as a US regional unlocked phone then Republic will support it)

Hi @philm.2cm8t8,

Following-up on @drm186’s reply, everything I’ve read suggests the Moto G5 will not be released in the U.S. only the G5 Plus. Additionally, specs for the G5 at GSM Arena show it as supporting none of the LTE Bands used by Republic’s GSM network partner: Motorola Moto G5 - Full phone specifications. GSM Arena is usually pretty accurate. I’d take the PDAdb results with a large grain of salt.

I didn’t notice any model numbers on the GSM Arena site and there are at least six versions announced of the G5 (not Plus or Play). But, assuming that the PDADB information is correct in reporting that the XT1671 supports LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, and 28 and comparing this with the bands supported by a sample of three of Republic’s phones:

Huawei Ascend 5W: bands 2,4,5,12,17
Samsung Galaxy J3: bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,12
Moto G4: bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,25,26,41

the only bands in common, and thus presumably required, are 2,4,5,12. The XT1671 covers those bands and more. So if it doesn’t cover the correct bands, then you’d also have to say that Republic’s existing phones don’t cover them either, which would be illogical. (Also I notice that both Republic’s current Moto phones AND the XT1671 support more bands and protocols than Republic’s Samsung or Huawei.)

Thus, if a phone meets Republic’s technical standard, even though it’s not officially “marketed” in the US (although the XT1671 is currently on Amazon and Ebay from the US), presumably Republic will approve it in due course.

Republic’s GSM network partner uses LTE bands 2,4, and 12. It is not I but GSM Arena who says the Moto G5 covers none of those bands. GSM Arena is not infallible, however, there’s no reason to believe PDAdb is either.

Thus, if a phone meets Republic’s technical standard, even though it’s not officially “marketed” in the US (although the XT1671 is currently on Amazon and Ebay from the US), presumably Republic will approve it in due course.
There’s more to this than hardware specs. Republic tests and qualifies each supported phone works as expected with its’ app based blended WiFi/cell service. To date, Republic has qualified only North American factory unlocked variants. International unlocked equivalents of several otherwise qualified Republic phones exist and are sold through venues like Amazon and eBay. Precisely none of them currently work with Republic’s service. Based on that, I’d say it’s a large presumption, Republic will ultimately support any phone not intended for sale in the North American market. They may (and I would have no objection) but it’s far from a given or just a matter of time.

Android operating system software can and sometimes does vary between North American and international variants of the same phone. Republic may or may not test, qualify and support that.

the Moto G5 Plus XT-1687 will be supported later this spring

Moto G PLUS (5th Gen.)

no word on the Moto G5 with the variant of XT-1671 though rumor is the Moto G5 will not be sold in the US

Frankly, who cares where the phone came from, whether it was sold in the United States or not… The real question is, is there anything that will cause it to be rejected on a Republic plan?

I really want dual sim support and I plan to be traveling Internationally.

Yes, Republic Wireless App checks for compatibility. If it is not a compatible phone, you will not be able to proceed with activation.

As pointed out by @amitl, if the specific phone model isn’t qualified, one will not be able to activate a Republic SIM. There are currently no dual SIM phones qualified for use with Republic’s unique (sufficiently unique to be patented) blended WiFi/cell service. The list of qualified phones is here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help.

Since you reference international travel, perhaps, this will be helpful: International Travel with a Republic Phone.