Moto g5s+ poor cell reception

What phone do you have? Moto g5s+

What plan are you on? my choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? I add when i need

Just switched phones from Moto g3 to a Moto g5s±—g3 had ok reception at home (perhaps 1/2 or 3/4) but worked great on cellular if wi-fi was out, but Moto g5s+ usually shows no cell connection or very faint. It also seems to go back and forth randomly at times. Cellular service seems to work ok if it’s a stronger signal but still seems weaker than that of the g3. Any thoughts or has anyone else experienced this.

Hi @davidp.2ftsqz!

It’s possible that your new phone is running on the T-mobile network as opposed to Sprint’s network (that your G3 used to run on). It’s also possible that Sprints network is stronger in your area. If you give me your ZIP code, I can check. When you say “It seems to go back and forth”, what exactly do you mean? Is it switching from Wi-Fi to cell?

Zip is 95404

Back and forth just means that it goes from having a signal to no or low signal.

Please try this on your phone:

1. Launch the dialer as if you were going to make a call.
  2. Tap the numeric keypad icon.
  3. Dial *#*#786#*#*

What does your phone do? Does the screen just clear or do you get a SprintDM screen?

screen just clears

So indeed, the reason for the difference in coverage is that the new phone is on Republic’s GSM partner while the old phone was on Republic’s CDMA partner (Sprint). You will have to open a ticket with support and request that they move you to CDMA which they can do by sending you a new SIM. Once that’s complete you’ll have the same coverage you had on your previous phone.

Thanks for the info----I will do it.

Message an
Expert customer