Moto G6 charging problems

What phone do you have? Moto G6

What plan are you on? My Choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Includes Data

My Moto G6 decided to stop charging a few days ago. I suspected the charger, so I tried another. and another. and another. A half dozen chargers and cables later (all of which worked on other devices) and I know it’s not the charger. I thought maybe it was the jack on the phone, but it’s tight and changing the position of the plug in it or applying pressure make no difference.

Eventually the battery died and the phone shut down. Then something interesting happened; it started to charge for a split second. It was really only enough to making the charging screen come on and then go off. I’m estimating at around a quarter to a half second of charge…which was negated by having to power the screen for several seconds. After some time of this, eventually it got up to 1%. Then something very unfortunate happened; it tried to turn on. It actually succeeded, but then immediately powered off again because of the low battery and the fact that it wouldn’t charge while powered on. So now I’m stuck in a weird boot loop; it will charge at a rate of a half second or so every 20 seconds, get to a point where it will auto power on, use up all its progress trying to do so and power off. The behavior is the same whether it’s plugged into the official Motorola charger, an Anker, or my laptop.

I also used some Deoxit on the USB-C port thinking that maybe there was some corrosion making for a weak contact. That made no difference either.

My question is this: how do I get it to stop trying to turn itself on? I’m assuming I’ll have to open a ticket with Motorola to actually get it fixed, but I’d like to be able to charge it enough to make sure I have a current backup of it first since they’ll factory reset it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Community @danielc.i46l7u

I would try getting the phone into Recovery mode:

1. Turn OFF your phone using the Power button. (In your case the second the phone has restarted itself go to step #2)
  2. Now hold the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
  3. Release both the buttons once Fastboot mode appears on the screen.
  4. Now, use the Volume Up/Down button to navigate to Recovery Mode and press Power button to select it.
  5. Once the Android Robot screen appears, press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons.
  6. Now you should be in Recovery mode. Now, release the buttons.

Now, you’re in the recovery mode.

If you look at the bottom of the screen (on the picture) you will be able to tell the phone to Power off. That should stop the boot-loop and let you try charging uninterrupted.

Thank you so much! I will try this and let you know how it goes.

1 Like

I was able to get it into recovery mode and power off but it still tries to boot when it hits 1% battery charge. Any other suggestions?

It should have stayed off after that. :thinking:
Try going back to the Recovery menu and this time selecting “Wipe cache partition”, then once again power it off.

If it starts up again after being plugged in and getting to 1% then I would look into your main concern:

Log into your Google account and see if your contacts, photos and what you care about is backed up. If it’s text messages, you can still see them via installing Anywhere on another device.

Is there other data on the phone you’re looking to save?

Another idea…
With the phone plugged in, go back to the Recovery screen and don’t choose anything. Leave the phone alone for 2 hours then choose “Reboot System Now”

My hope is that the phone will stay on that screen and not try and reboot (since it’s already on) and will continue charging. I would like to get the battery over 6% before trying to get the operating system to run.

Puzzle no more. I was doing it wrong :blush:
Actually powering off from the recovery menu rather than just the fastboot menu worked exactly as you said it would. Now to let it sit and charge for a few days…

Also, I signed in to Google and looked: no photos or texts. I don’t use Google services much so I’m not surprised that I never set those things up. The big things I care about getting are those two. We’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

Glad to hear you got the phone to stay off and charging!

Now, as for your data lets start with your photos. :slight_smile:

You can hook up your phone to your computer and drag off copies of your pictures and/or open your Google Photos app on you phone, sign in, and turn on backup. In the app you can pick between “Original” or “High Quality”, I would pick the High Quality as it gives you unlimited storage. Also… set it to backup on WiFi only.

Remember 1 “copy” of something is NOT a backup. You need at least 2 copies (original + 1 copy) to be considered backed up. That means a copy on your phone AND your computer (or Google photos) :wink:

On to your texts:
This program is recommended a lot here in the Community. I use it as well to back up texts: SMS Backup & Restore

Hope this helps!

@danielc.i46l7u How’d this all turn out?

Thanks for asking and all the help so far. Here’s the update:

The phone still wouldn’t build up a charge, even when not trying to start up. I had to go out of town on a trip for several days so it just sat for that time. Then, I had a friend take it apart and disconnect the screen. After a couple more days on the charger, it finally charged.

I’ve been able to pull data off of it, but I’ve used up one charge completely with everything I’ve transferred. I’ve gotten everything now except my pictures and videos. I’ll give it a week or so on the charger again and then get those transferred.

Thanks again.

If you look here: https://photos.google.com are you photos/videos already backed up?

Message an
Expert customer