Moto G6; No cell service

What phone do you have? Moto G6

What plan are you on?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? talk & text

Issue Description

I have had 4 republic phones begining with the Defy. We are in an area listed by Republic as “no cell coverage” as there is not a native provider nearby. Our phones have always had cell service.
My Moto E4 has CDMA service and previously had GSM coverage, obviously though an unintentional roaming agreement.
Booted up the G6,meant as a replacement for my wifes E1, and no cell service. On GSM obviously.
Can I take the sim chip from my E4; put it in my wifes G6, to check if it will work on cell? I don’t want to miss the return window and we are leaving for an extended period to an area with fine coverage. Thanks, Potter

(Moderator’s note: Two posts merged into one.)

Hi @potters.4rsmut,

It’s not possible to move an active CDMA SIM from one phone to another. Unlike GSM which allows for swapping of active SIMs, this is a limitation of CDMA technology. It’s among the reasons that absent a coverage issue I prefer GSM as technology to CDMA.

Presuming you’re happy with the CDMA coverage on your E4, the same CDMA coverage is available for your wife’s G6. Here’s the info on that: How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help.

If you bought the G6 from Republic, I’m confident they’ll work with you on the return window while coverage gets sorted.

Have you verified this? Here’s how on that: How to Tell If a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA – Republic Help.

Once again; thank you so much Roland, Potter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer