Moto G6 suddenly bricked after update last night?

What phone do you have? Motorola Moto G6

What plan are you on? My Choice Plan

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Yes, 1G

Issue Description

Last night I received a notification that there was a system update for the phone. I downloaded and set it up to install overnight and went to bed and promptly forgot about it. The alarm woke me up this morning, I went through the morning routine, hooked it up to bluetooth in the car, drove a kid to school, etc. Phone had about 33% and was plugged into the car charger when I got out of the car. Came back home and slipped the phone into my back pocket for a minute while I put my keys down, and when I pulled it out again, it wouldn’t register my fingerprint. Wouldn’t turn on, no haptic response. I’ve plugged it back into the charger and no indication that it’s anything more than a brick. The back felt a little warm when I got out of the car, but no more than usual.

I have not taken the sim card out or tried to open the phone (I don’t even know if that’s possible). This phone is barely over a year old. The 3 other phones in the house that were purchased at the same time are fine. Advice requested

The first thing to so is to plug the phone in the charger for at least 30 minutes. After that’s done, hold down the power button for up to a full two minutes. Let us know what happens.

1 Like

Funny thing - I walked away for about 15 minutes to get a kid ready for school and I forgot that I’d left the phone plugged in. When I came back, the phone was on and showing a full charge (it normally takes about half an hour to get up to a charge from 25% or so) and pretending like nothing ever happened.

For the record, when I previously held down the power button for a count of ten, nothing happened. It seems to be working fine now and the update shows that it completed. I’m going to assume hardware quirks and maybe a little ID-10-T failure. :slight_smile: Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @jensoko - glad your Moto G6 finished the update. We received notification that the system update was available last night. Decided to wait until this AM to do the update. Did both phones with no problems. Each took about 20 minutes from the time we started download until they were up a running! Updated to PSS29.118-15-11 with stability improvements and Android security updates through August 1, 2019.

Not touting the How to Preparing Your Android Phone for an Update but following the steps seems to make the process go smoothly.

Included the How to link in this thread for others who might read the posts based on the “Suddenly Bricked” in the title.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer