Moto G6 won't hold connection

What phone do you have? Moto G6

What plan are you on? $15 talk & text

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? just talk & text

Issue Description

Phone won’t connect to working wifi & internet and stay connected. I am restarting phone many x a day. Cable modems are Motorola Surfboards, phone behaving the same in 2 locations. Many x indicators show phone connected, but it’s not really, no internet and modem working fine, just drops off the radar with no warning. Nothing else in the house (TV’s, tablet, laptop) has these issues. Also many x text does not work when on network. Did not have these problems with Moto X. Searched this problem here but was not able to open details on similar issues. Thank you for taking a look at this. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I think every once in a while this comes up as a concern in community threads , and the truth is, this is a result of Doze mode. The below articles give more detail about what is happening. The best thing you can do is ensure you are not aggravating the situation by having the battery saver ON, and that you have not messed with the Wi-Fi sleep settings. If you feel it is happening more often then when you got the phone, it may be worth testing the phone in safe mode.

What is Android’s Doze Mode?

What are the Connectivity Status Notifications?
Why Does My Phone Disconnect from WiFi When the Screen Is Off?
Phone Keeps Going into Power Saving Mode

1 Like

Only Android device on 6.0 or above will be affected by the Doze problem
The references that @ValerAngel provided, will give you good background information.
The community has developed methods that will ‘workaround’ Doze shutting off your WiFi

It might also be useful to check which cellular partner your Moto G6 is on. See the help article below for instructions. The Moto G6 could be configured for GSM (T-Mobile) or CDMA (Sprint) cellular coverage. Your old Moto X (if it was a 1st or 2nd generation model) was on CDMA (Sprint).

Thank you for responding. My phone is GSM. I bought it new from Republic.

Do you feel the cellular coverage is adequate in your home and general area (have bars of service on the signal strength meter and not roaming)? The reason I mention it is, typically folks don’t notice Doze mode as causing much of an issue unless you are in an area of poor cellular reception. I wouldn’t think you would need to restart the phone multiple times. Wi-Fi should connect when the phone exits Doze mode.

Below is a link to a cellular map for the GSM carrier. Does it look OK for your area?

https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-roamd-34l

The GSM vs CDMA question that @cbwahlstrom referenced is important, as the Android developed, Republic implemented Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) utilizes your cell to wake the phone when its dozing.

It’s GSM, thank you for responding. Maybe it’s not waking up.

Coverage map looks OK in Orlando, FL and Ellsworth, ME where I spend the most time. To be honest I have not paid much attention to bars or roaming but right now looks like only 2 bars here in Maine. No, wifi is not connecting on exiting Doze mode and that’s when I have to restart. I’ve had this phone less than a year and it’s just always been sideways, which has surprised me for a Motorola that looks just fine.

Thank you so much for helping me with this.

Thank you. I will read all these and work on it.

DozeMode usually kicks in about after 60 minutes of screen off idle time.

• If the FCM signal doesn’t wake it up for an incoming call because of poor cell signal then your call will go to voicemail
  • afik the only way for us as users to get it to wake up is to pick up the phone so the screen comes on (that’s what the Doze Detect using the method I pointed to above actually does

@jant Any luck with resolving this issue?

No. I restart the phone about 25x a day. Seems to be the only way to reconnect to the Internet, just quits without warning. Picking up the phone does not wake it up. Ran the Pie update this morning and the phone won’t boot at all, is stuck on the Motorola screen for hours now. Even restarting is not helping. I regret buying this phone and it will be my last Motorola. I have had it less than a year. Very discouraging.

Hi @jant,

Were you able to recover from the issue caused while trying to update to Pie?

Message an
Expert customer