Moto G7 no audio

Greetings. I have a Motorola Moto G7. I am on the My Choice Talk & Text plan. I have had my phone for about 18 months and this is the first time I have experienced an issue and it is kind of maddening.

I discovered this morning that my phone no longer makes any sounds, at least during normal operation. It will not play audio associated with video, it will not play MP3 files stored on my phone using a third party app, it will not play audio from a YouTube stream in my browser. These examples should all play audio through the loud “speakerphone” speaker. If I place a phone call there is no audio through the “ear” speaker either.

My first thought was that perhaps there was a hardware issue. Perhaps the speakers were both damaged or malfunctioning. I restarted my phone. During the normal boot up process for my Motorola phone the Motorola splash screen was displayed and lo and behold the “Hello, Moto!” sound issued just fin through the speakerphone speaker! But after booting up I still had the same issues. But I can now confirm that there is no hardware problem and the speakerphone speaker is fine.

Next step - I placed a phone call and routed it to speaker phone. It worked! So my stock Google phone app will push audio to the speakerphone speaker but not the ear speaker. And no other app will play audio through the speakerphone speaker, except for playing the, “Hello, Moto!” during start up.

I suspect a software update is causingn issues. I am running Android 10, security patch October 1, 2020. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi @coffee,

Welcome to the Community :slight_smile: :coffee:

Here are a few things to try:

First, check and see if you have “Do not Disturb” turned on. If it is, turn it off.

Next, try restarting the phone in Safe Mode. This can test to see if an app is causing your issue.

1 Like

Thanks, Super T! After a bit more experimenting I realized that my phone thought a device was plugged in to the headphones jack. If I connected a speaker to this jack audio would play just fine through the external speaker. Removing the cable while the audio was playing did not stop the phone from playing the audio, but no sound came out of the phone’s speaker like it should have. The phone still thought an external device was connected even though one was not.

At this point my brilliant girlfriend mentioned that her phone once exhibited similar behavior and there was an issue with her headphone jack. I began to recall that I had been out shoveling earlier in the day and so there was a possibility that some moisture made its way inside the phone via the headphones jack. She suggested the proverbial phone-in-a-bowl-of-rice trick.

So here I am, several cups of rice later, and my phone audio works again! Thank you, Super Girlfriend! And thank you, SuperT for your suggestions. Happy Holidays!

1 Like

Great Job!! :coffee:
Happy Holidays to you and Super Girlfriend too! :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer