Moto G7 power and wifi

I received a Moto G7 power from RW to replace my older Moto phone. Set up went well but the wifi was spotty and slow. Looked under setting and this only connected to 2.4 ghz, not 5 as well. The advertisement said both as did the insert. Called Moto help, after much effort they informed me Moto G7 power is not able to connect to the 5. This is not a RW issue but a Moto issue. If you are ok with 2.4 only, great phone. If you want 5.0, not ever gonna happen

The G7 Power, specs on the normal sites i look at, say Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n,
No a or ac (5ghz support).
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g7_power-9527.php

However,

RWs spec page does have “WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n”
Also the Moto page directly states it has

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, 2.4GHz + 5GHz, Wi-Fi hotspot

So according to the manufacture, it has 5ghz support.

From some web forums I have quick found, users report that the UK model version does not support 5ghz and never will. But I havent found any reports of the us model and 5ghz or not.

I talked to the manufacture, they messed up when they said 5 GHz. They have a page buried on the website saying oops, the other stuff we sent out is wrong, only ,2.4. if you have a hour to waste, call them up lol.

i guess so. they goofed.
this really the only thing i found

I am like, I love the monster battery but want 5 GHz. How could anyone release a phone with only 2.4 nowadays? I am not a techy but maybe the single band was trade off for monster battery

Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n,
2.4GHz + 5GHz, Wi-Fi
hotspot

You’d think Moto might change their website. https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-power-gen-7

:flight_departure:

Maybe they are afraid to lose some sales when phones are compared using published into.

I am like deciding what to do.

Yea. My home only has 5ghz wifi enabled.
There are over 80 2.4ghz networks in range in my apparent unit my phone picks up and using that band is very hard to do with all the interference.

Having a phone that supports 5ghz is a must for me.

I would suggest that you open a Ticket with Motorola, and then request that it be escalated to management for resolution.
I couldn’t find the FCC test for the device, but if it was tested to meet their published spec then it would need to cover the 5GHz band.

No need to escalate, the phone will not do 5 ghz

Sorry, the model won’t.

Do not get the Moto 7 power, I am just forewarning everyone

Yes I understand, but I would think that they might want to offer some remediation to injured parties.

Point taken.

I’ve responded in their community. They should be ashamed.

Hi @bigbrad2008,

Does your phone “see” your 5 GHz network? I just took my G7 Power out for a little ride and came up with this:

As you can see, it finds several 5 GHz networks. My understanding is that if the phone is not equipped for 5 GHz, then it would not even see the network to display it.

1 Like

That’s weird. The Moto rep unequivocally says there isn’t 5GHz Wifi on the G7 Power. But if you’re seeing 5GHz networks, there obviously is. The should be ashamed for how confused they are.

I am just repeating what Moto said. I bet you 5 dollars those 5g names you see are actually named that but the phone only sees 2.4. looks at the network you are connected too. Hint, you can use any name for a network, but doesn’t mean the phone sees both bands. I can name my network 10 g and that is what you see but doesn’t mean it is 10 g. Look at the wifi you are connected too, see what bandwidth it is seeing and screenshot that. ,

Not weird, simple reasoning, modem router sends out both and called whatever you want but phone only sees the 2.4.

Message an
Expert customer