Moto G7 power and wifi

Thank you, I went to MacDonald and had 5g. On the drive home Moto called me and said our rep was wrong. So as Louis correctly pointed out, it is the router not the phone. I need a monster battery as I take tons of pictures. I move permanently in amonth to Ecuador (I have used a rw phone in 60 countries, love the wifi connection). But when I travel I take tons of photos and the battery didn’t last. This big battery solved that. Moving to a place with a n based 5 g modem or a 2.4 in a place where you don’t have much traffic is cool too. So I can deal with the spotty service now or just fire up my Moto x4 for the month. Oh, a personal thing, I was wrong. I based that in what the Moto folks told me but think about. All your positions in life are based on outside input. Believing an outside input that is wrong still makes you wrong. That is a person’s job, sorting out who is right and who is wrong. I can take being wrong, and smile, how else can you learn. I also love to point out others being wrong, how else can they grow. That being said, why the ■■■■ does Moto sell Moto g7 in some regions that don’t see 5g.

1 Like

Costs, pure and simple. The 2.4GHz chip and antenna are cheaper than the 2.4/5GHz chip combo and in certain markets, price is all that matters. If it lets them shave $3 off the phone, they do it.

That makes sense, on the forum, they said the model sold in Germany does not have 5g. In my experience, Europe is more cell phone advanced than we are. By the way I like your knowledge on this area I just needed you to step away for a bit as my unigue situation (big battery) and moving to Ecuador made modem messing not an option for me. I will just get out my x4 and be fine. By the way, electronics imported into Ecuador have a huge tax so that is why I got the big battery phone here. I think I can use this phone if I get a decent carrier there. If not, I will have this phone on RW and a cheap local phone for phone calls only.

Germany is very complicated with spectrum licensing. Germany requires DFS and TPC capabilities on 5.250–5.350 GHz and 5.470–5.725 GHz as well; They also divide frequencies with the range 5.150–5.350 GHz allowed only for indoor use, leaving only 5.470–5.725 GHz for outdoor and indoor use. Because of this, it requires customer code to control usage there and on the lower-end phones this complexity is very expensive to manage and so most phones under 350 :euro: leave out 5GHz in that market.

I get it, but trust me, having been involved in over 50k of these types of interactions, almost nothing is unique any more! :slight_smile:

1 Like

But your expertise strongly suggested changing the modem, which would have required me to get into it with my laptop. I have done it before but I am a short timer and this modem is rented as I have just moved here and will move again soon. Do you know if Ecuador has n or ac typically?

I unfortunately have no knowledge of South/Central America’s wifi situation, other than Brazil. 5GHz may not be an issue there though. As you may know, 2.4GHz actually propagates further and through walls far better than 5GHz. 5GHz is useful in crowded environments where the frequency is far less used and you see less of them because of the propagation limits. You may not see much 5GHz deployed there at all and for most use cases the 54Mbps limit of 802.11g won’t be an issue…

Did some checking, Ecuador has a lot of 5 and 2.4 GHz modem/routers. Could not get an estimate of how common dual band was. I was able to get average speed (I know it is a weak substitute for 2.4 vs 5 GHz usage ratio) for Ecuador. They ranked 66 in the world the US ranked 33.

I just received my G7 power phone from Republic. From reading all of these comments - I’m screwed if I’m looking for wi-fi and only a 5 GHz network is available. Correct?

I was the one bitching and was wrong. RW helped me out even though I was upset. Thank them. Moto customer service was not the best

Hi @beverlyt.thwhfw,

The Moto G7 Power can use 5 GHz networks unless they are configured at 802.11ac only. Most 802.11ac networks will gracefully serve as 802.11n networks unless they are specifically configured not to.

Most public networks that broadcast as 5 GHz networks also broadcast at the 2.4 GHz frequency.

So while there’s a slim chance you’ll come across a network your phone cannot find, it’s far more likely you’ll just come across a network that’s secured, and you don’t have the password.

7 Likes
Message an
Expert customer