Moto G7 - terrible coverage

What phone do you have? Moto G7 & Moto G6

What plan are you on? My Choice + 1 GB and My Choice Talk & Text

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? one phone has 1 GB

Issue Description

I believe is started last fall when I bought the phone it just didn’t have the same coverage as my Moto G I was replacing. I also seems as if has gotten steadily worse until now I don’t even have service going through town. It use to be in outlying areas, way out, then I notice even in areas I use to have service with my Moto G nothing. and now right in town I have no service even when I have data available. My texts will not come in unless I am on WIFI and that wrong. My husband has been experiencing some health issues so we’ve been more proactive about shutting off the WIFI at night and even during the day more. I’ve always had unlimited talk and text and now none of our phones including my daughters phone which is a Moto G5+. Help we are ready to switch to another company. I can’t function with out service as have gotten rid of our land line. PLEASE HELP US!

Hi @tamarah.llo0k0 and welcome to the Member Community. Your Moto G1 was on a CDMA network and your new Moto G7 & G6 might be on GSM. Let’s do two things to check so we can approach this in a reasonable manner. Let’s do the Moto G7 first (assuming you have questionable coverage with both phones).

Please use the following article to check and see if phone is activated on GSM or CDMA –

Please let us know your zip code (only the zip code) so one of our Community members can see what network would provide your best coverage.

And one other question - why are you turning WiFi off? WiFi should typically give you the best coverage and phone operation at home.

We’ll see what steps are needed next based on your findings.

4 Likes

Thank you,

My zip code is 54650 and My Moto G 7 phone is GSM

Hi @tamarah.llo0k0 - it looks like you are in an area with coverage described as “Signal: Fair Coverage outdoors and on the road.” By comparing a few maps it looks like you might get slightly better coverage with a CDMA network (like your original Moto G1 had).

Here’s a “How To” article for requesting a CDMA SIM for your phone –

If you decide to try the CDMA SIM you will need to activate it. Here’s a “How To” for activating the SIM –

Don’t forget step 8 and read the Additional Notes!

Might be worth a try. Other members might also weigh in with other suggestions!

3 Likes

I’m not sure what to do. I’ve requested new sim cards from RW for CDMA sim card as it appears that my phones might receive calls much better with them but the article below states that CDMA will be shut down at the end of 2020. Doesn’t that put me back in the same spot in 8 months?
Does anyone have info on this? I don’t want 5G. will I be force to use it or give up my phone?

We have been updating this story since 2012. In 2020, it’s absolutely time to get off of CDMA and GSM. Verizon will turn off its CDMA network and T-Mobile will turn off its 2G GSM network by the end of 2020. In 2021, AT&T and T-Mobile will keep their 3G networks in very low-bandwidth modes mostly designed to support devices like electric meters and vending machines. Now that T-Mobile owns Sprint, it’s likely to do the same with Sprint’s old CDMA network. That means 2G/3G reception and call quality will likely be poor, if you get a signal at all. It’s a 4G LTE world now, and if you aren’t in it yet, it’s time to switch over.

First, CDMA will be shut down by Verizon at the end of the year (if they don’t push it again, it was supposed to happen a few times already), but not by Sprint. Sprint is talking 2022. In any case, this will only be an issue for the legacy phones (Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 and E2) which aren’t VoLTE capable. The newer phones are all 4G LTE phones and VoLTE capable, meaning they’re ready for the replacement.

CDMA SIM card is actually a misnomer. It is a SIM card for the partner that uses CDMA (Sprint) but the SIM is actually for the LTE part of the service.

It will be quite a while before the 4G networks are shutdown. 2G networks are just being shut down (CDMA).

All Republic phones since July 2016 are 4G and VoLTE capable and in fact in many locations don’t use CDMA or GSM at all (other than the fact the LTE is an evolution of GSM).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer