My wife and I both have the Moto X 2nd Generation phones on the RW 2.0 plans. We’re mostly happy with the phones, and haven’t had truly major issues to date.
My wife’s phone got knocked off couch recently and the screen has cracks in it, and so now we need to likely replace it soon, b/c if it goes like another one a while back did for her, it’ll only get worse over time.
Given our history and her usage, these are the most important pieces of the phone:
- Camera: It has to have a good to great camera. We’ve been spoiled by our Moto X1 and X2 phones (and now I have an iPhone 7 Plus through work and love that camera for sure). She takes pictures all the time. She hardly takes video, but she will on occasion take videos. Basically, we’d want the camera to be at least as good as the X2.
- Battery: She’ll say not worried about battery life, but honestly, she is always draining her battery on the X2. I think that somehow her micro USB connector has gotten damaged along the way, and that is likely part of the problem. Anyway, one thing on the X3, I think is that I’ve read it has worse battery life than the X2. Does the Samsung S7 shine here?
- Screen: Ideally, I’d prefer her phone be less fragile than the Moto X1 and X2. That Gorilla glass setup doesn’t hold up to being dropped from a couch, maybe 3 feet high, to a padded laminate floor. Other time it was broken as in a gymnasuim, and the gym floors have some sort of mild padding under the wood, if I remember correctly. That was also not a bad fall. Crazy thing is I’ve dropped mine worse (same phone) multiple times, without so much as a scratch. Anyway, I’d prefer the screen be a little less fragile if possible.
- Storage: Though not a big deal, with her taking logs of pictures, the 16GB Moto X 2 runs out of space FAST. We do upload to Google Drive/Photos, but I have to check on her phone once in a while to be sure she isn’t out space.
- Screen size: I don’t know for sure yet, but I think with her smaller hands, the Moto X 3 may have too big a screen for her comfort. So that’s another place where the Galaxy S7 shines.
Could anyone here point out their success or failure when moving from a Moto X 2 to a Samsung Galaxy 7? Or else success going from Moto X2 to X3?
Or can anyone recommend what might be a better phone? I’m also thinking it might be good to convince her to use a better case, since she’s now broken her screen 2 or 3 times in the past maybe 2 years.
In my opinion, X3 wins over S7 on cost. Camera sounds like each have pros over other, not sure which is really better. Or would it make more sense to just get a used RW X2 if I can find one maybe with more memory?
As far as plan, she’s been on the $10 plan since about the time those first came available, and she loves it. She would like data every now and then, but tells me it’s not worth us paying the money. When we’re together outside work, she’ll occasionally use my phone which does have data. I am thinking if we went to the RW 3.0 plan on her phone, we would go ahead and get the lowest data plan instead of paying $15 for no data. RW 2.0 plan has been mostly perfect for our needs.
Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions
p.s. I forgot about the Moto Z - I’m honestly not dead set on any one phone at this time.