Moto X 2nd Gen: No SIM card. Emergency Calls Only. Help needed

sim

I have a Moto X 2nd generation and all of a sudden, a few minutes ago, my phone turned off during use.

When I turn it back on, it immediately shuts off, displaying “No SIM Card. Emergency Calls Only” (in the top left of the screen) – and then shuts off.

What should I do?
And what are my options with the (lovely) Republic network?

0 Likes

With the Moto X (2nd Gen) the SIM card is only used for LTE data service. Aside from that the phone should work without a SIM card.

An error similar to what you report occurred in conjunction with a Facebook app update a while back. In that case the solution was uninstalling and reinstalling the Facebook app.

0 Likes

@billg and others:

I don’t have the FB app (or FB Messenger) and the phone won’t allow me to use it when I turn it on now - it shuts right back down after powering it on quickly displaying the “No SIM card. Emergency calls only.”

What should I do?

0 Likes

There are a couple of things you can do that start from the phone being powered off:

Clearing the cache:

Clearing the Cache

Factory reset:

Factory Reset

If you do the factory reset use these steps:

Android 5.x (Lollipop)/Android 6.x (Marshmallow) Steps

1. With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time for about 3 seconds.
  2. From the Boot Mode Selection Menu screen, use the Volume Down button to scroll to Recovery, and press Volume Up to select.
  3. When the screen with the Android logo appears, press and hold the Power button, then press and release Volume Up to display the menu options.
  4. Use the volume keys to scroll to “wipe data/factory reset” and press the Power key to select it.
  5. Scroll down to “Yes - erase all user data” and press the Power key to select it.
0 Likes

closed #5
0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer