Moto X {2nd Gen} shuts down by itself

With anything less than 85% charge left on the battery, which lasts about a day, if a photo is taken or an attempt to use voice to search on the web, the phone will immediately shut down.

I’d understand this behavior if I was at 40% or less but at 85% charge I’d expect the phone to stay on. Above 85% seems to work as well as it ever did, which was never stellar.

Sometimes it just shuts off usually when a photo is taken while other times when doing a voice search it will tell you it is shutting down.

Approx 3 years old and from the video’s I’ve seen, changing the battery requires a surgeon’s touch.

Don’t want to switch plans as my original plan serves us well at minimal cost.

0 Likes

I’m afraid that you have the typical battery failure symptoms. Any time you put the phone under load, the battery can’t provide the needed power to the phone, the phone shuts down. You’re right, the replacement isn’t easy, but any phone compatible with your plan is going to be several years old, so a battery replacement may be the only choice. That being said, there is also no new battery stock, so you’re likely to start with a battery that’s already not in great shape. :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi @craigw.vkuxs3
Try http://www.cellphonerepair.com/locations/
I don’t know where they get the batteries they install but guarantee them. Ask your specific CPR repair store their policy.
EDIT:

The Limited Lifetime Warranty*

In addition to being able to repair nearly any small electronic gadget that comes through our doors, and being able to complete most repairs in less than two hours, we also guarantee the quality of our workmanship and the quality of our parts for a full 6 months!

What does it mean for you?

If, at any time during our limited lifetime warranty period, the original repair fails because of the quality of the part we installed or the workmanship in repairing the device, we will fix it for FREE. No questions asked. Can’t beat a guarantee like that!

*** All CPR Stores are independently owned and operated and not all stores may offer the same or a warranty at all.**

0 Likes

Out of curiosity for how long? The challenge is it’s not clear anyone is manufacturing new batteries for what is now a going on 5-year old phone. So, the available battery stock is like the phone itself old.

0 Likes

Looks like I need to make a call in the morning and ask for sure. Read my edit above.

0 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to reply louisdi.

That’s what I was afraid would be the answer. I’ve changed the battery in my Moto G once and it was pretty easy and worked fine but the battery sure looks buried deep in the Moto x.

0 Likes

Thank you bocephous for taking the time to reply. I have contacted a Cell Phone Repair facility about 25 miles from me for an estimate on replacing the battery if that is possible.

If not, I’ll start looking for the best VALUE phone {aka not necessarily the cheapest} and provider as in my area, the cell service is very poor but WiFi did NOT live up to the hype. I have a very well behaved WiFi system and this phone would still drop calls on occasion even if my WiFi router is not streaming to my TVs.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

■■■■ at your reply on a battery going into its 5th. year. Got a 2nd Generation Moto X myself, at about 2 years the battery showed a little sign of deterioration, but bounced back and it is now going into its 4th. year. I want a new phone, but getting over 3 years from the same phone with no complaints is a breath of fresh air. NO ONE will ever be able to get me away from Republic Wireless!

2 Likes

The New 3.0 & 4.0 phones really run circles around the Legacy phones.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer