Moto X activation

activation

I have a Moto E and Republic account. I bought a used unlocked Moto X and have installed a Republic SIM card. When I turn the Moto X on, I get this message, “This device was reset. To continue sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced with this device”.
I have tried my Gmail account and my Google account info. Same message. Suggestions?

Hi @jackh.uh826y,

From your description, I would conclude the previous owner didn’t disable the phone’s so-called “kill switch”. The Google account previously synced with the device is likely the previous owner’s. They’ll either need to be willing to provide those account credentials or you will need to return the phone, so they may disable the kill switch. They would do so by removing any screen lock password prior to factory resetting the phone.

A secondary question is whether this unlocked Moto X is a Moto X1, X2 or X3 (Pure Edition). Unless it’s a Moto X Pure, it won’t activate on Republic’s network anyway. A Moto X1 or X2 must have been specifically produced for Republic’s network.

More on phones that work with Republic here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help.

On Android’s kill switch here:

the Screen lock was still engaged when the seller reset the device before sending it to you
(this the Google Lockout the Governments forced Google to put in the phone to help kill the demand for stolen phones )
you need the Google Account login the sell used before sending it to you or you need to send it back to the seller to login remove the screen lock and reset again before sending it back to you

note I hope this is the Republic version of a Moto X 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Custom ROM Legacy phones to maintain the current plan (1.0 or 2.0 require the custom ROM), (or a US factory unlock version of the Moto X Pure for 3.0 plans as it’s the only Moto X allowed on 3.0 plans)

O Boy! I believe this is the Google lock out feature. The seller failed to remove their account associated with the phone before doing the factory reset and selling it.

It might be best to contact the seller.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.