Moto X clear Android OS cache if volume down button is broken

What phone do you have?
Moto x 1st gen bought 3/2015

What plan are you on?
Republic refund

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Both

Issue Description

Is there an alternate way to clear the Android OS system cache other than pressing power + volume down (Ref: “How to Clear the Android System Cache on Motorola and Nexus Phones Running Android 8.0 or Below”) - as my volume down button is broken.

Underlying issue is that the phone is shutting down randomly and then spending 30 minutes in “optimizing apps” mode on reboot - varying battery states and varying app use (Such as in Ref: Moto X 1st gen shuts off randomly & doesn’t want to turn on again) this is happening more frequently and has several times kept me from making an urgent call. Before spending $ on a new device I 'm interested in seeing if a cleared OS cache would make a difference.

Possibly connect a keyboard to the phone and try using the up down keys.

@saraht.9muh2e Are you still having this issue?

yes, the volume down button is permanently broken

@Bocephus, A) I doubt this would work when used in conjunction with the power button to clear cache and B) I don’t have an external keyboard compatible with the phone. Sorry.

Hi @saraht.9muh2e,

I have a Moto X2 with the same randomly-shutting-down issues. I don’t believe clearing the cache is going to be a solution, because I think it’s a sign of the end of the battery’s useful life.

Have you ever used ADB? Apparently there is a command to boot into recovery through ADB. See: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1853159

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer