Moto x Pure with GSM Sim card no reception even though coverage map says strong signal!

What phone do you have? Moto X Pure GSM

What plan are you on? My Choice+ 1GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? yes 1 GB

Issue Description

Moto x Pure with GSM Sim card no reception even though coverage map says strong signal! I am currently completely dependent on wifi for the 92322 zip code area. But the Coverage Map says there is strong signal for this area.

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I see quite poor coverage there. Where are you checking coverage?

I’m checking here: https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

I’m seeing largely fair, with scattering of no coverage and other scatterings of Excellent much further east. If you look up the specific address where you are, what is showing as the coverage?

I am using the Republic Wireless coverage map Cell Phone Coverage Map – Republic Wireless and with specific address it is showing quite strong 4g lte.

Unfortunately the Republic map isn’t very nuanced from a color perspective. If you input just the ZIP code you get “strong” but click the little pin that’s dropped just about anywhere but where it lands and you’ll find “fair” coverage. Can you please input the entire address (not just the ZIP) and tell us what it says for coverage at the complete address?

i used the address not just the zip and it says STRONG 4g lte

but even fair reception would be a galaxy away from an empty triangle and the phone saying no service.

Hi @reggiedu. I know you’re working possible coverage issues with @louisdi. I’ll jump in with two quick checks that hopefully does not throw off the current troubleshooting. My steps assume you are in an area with coverage.

Here’s an article that describes Connectivity status -

And based on the last item it might be worth checking RW app permissions -

Both of these are quick and might supply some helpful information for troubleshooting.

That’s why I’m asking about what it says because honestly when the cellular partner says “fair” in my experience it means no reception more often than it means reception. Their description is “reception outdoors and sometimes indoors”. Outdoors means literally standing outdoors. A car doesn’t count. Moving at any speed doesn’t count. Inside your front door doesn’t count. So in areas with primarily fair coverage, the experience is usually terrible.

That all said, if you’re seeing strong at the address (and you’ve verified that at https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map) let’s try some things.

Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Reboot the phone in an area that has a strong cell signal. (Some people have simply needed to step outside and reboot.) If this fixes it, stop.

2. Please ensure the data is turned on in Android Settings. Settings > Data Usage > Cellular Data (some phones may say Mobile Data). If this fixes it, stop.

3. Reset your Republic credentials by, while connected to wifi, opening the dialer as if making a call and enter *#*#8647#*#* (in on a Samsung phone hit the dial button). The screen should clear, when it does, restart the phone. If this fixes it, stop.

4. This one is more complicated. This step will clear out any saved connections for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that you may have already made. We’re going to reset the network settings.
    Go to Settings > Backup and Reset > Network settings reset
    Read the warning, tap “Reset settings.” You will be warned a second time. Tap “Reset settings” to confirm. The process will usually take 5-10 seconds and the cellular signal bars icon will go away for a moment. Once the cell signal bars icon returns, you should reboot the phone.

You might also want to use the root metrics app to verify against another reference for cellular coverage.

Ok, I’ve been living with this issue since 2017, so i have performed most of these,

1. i have done this repeatedly.
  2. I have ensured that data is turned on repeatedly.
  3. republic always says “dialed number is not allowed”
    4.Performed, and emergency calls only is displayed.

is there a difference, possibly, if i had a cdma sim card? I know that Republic operates in both TMobile and Sprint, and there are both towers here in the mountains. But one or the other is lower, so misses here.

It is likely worth trying a CDMA card (although to be clear, it doesn’t really look better). You can ask for one by following the directions here:

And, the code for 3 was messed up above. It is corrected.

Hi @reggiedu,

Wow, I’m sorry to read you’ve been putting up with this since 2017. Sometimes, particularly in areas with complex topography, the data we use to construct the map is a bit optimistic.

We’d be glad to send you a CDMA SIM card if you’d like to give it a try. (I see @louisdi) has sent you the instructions to request one. Have you ever had one of our older phones in that area and experienced coverage on Sprint’s network?

1 Like

i tried the dialing again, it went through but still emergency calls only.

I think it may be time for a new phone as well. In my area, is there a specific phone, or family of phones that may do better for reception?

A GSM phone with B71 coverage would likely provide better coverage there as T-Mobile does have B71 deployed in the area. You can see that on the list here: Detailed Supported Phone Features

You’ll also want one that support Sprint as a partner so be sure and pick one that does NOT have “None” in the CDMA Column. So basically, one that has a “Yes” under B71 and NOT “None” under CDMA SIM Type.

Thank you! I’ll check them out now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer