Moto X4 keeps installing the same update over and over again

I’m on a plan with data, talk and text. Phone is brand new out of the box.

Motorola update service keep popping up and asking to install the same patch, once I install it and restart, it happens again, over and over.

Hi @trevorl.11j6v0 and welcome to the Community!

It isn’t likely this the same patch or update. The Moto X4 is a 2017 phone and shipped with Android 7 Nougat. It now updates all the way to Android 9 Pie. Unfortunately, unlike traditional computers, phones don’t apply updates in one fell swoop. Rather, one must apply each update incrementally, then rinse, wash and repeat. I appreciate the annoyance factor, however, I think you’ll find if you keep going eventually all updates will be applied and your new X4 will stop bugging you.

3 Likes

Ah, that might explain it. Thank you.

1 Like

Before and after an update…take a look at
Settings -> About Phone -> Android version
It should update the date on the Android Security Patch Level

Just for your reference,
The most recent security patch is April 1, 2019

So until you get there… it is going to keep installing updates.

I just brought my new X4 online yesterday … multiple iterations of security patches. Eventually it caught up and then I was served a nice piece of PIE as a reward for may patience

I think I’m on my fourth update and restart cycle, and the update I’m currently at says August 2018. I’m glad to know that April 1st, 2019 is the target I should (maybe, at least at around this time) be looking for. I just hope that’s not some kind of April Fool’s joke (=

1 Like

My spouse’s Moto X4 (Android One version) has Android 9 (Pie) with May security updates.
When it first arrived, it seemed to take forever to get all the way through all the updates/reboots to Pie.
My Moto Z3 Play is still on Android 8.1 (Oreo), with February security updates.
The Pie update is said to be coming soon for the Z3 Play.
That X4 for $155 was an excellent deal, but the battery life on the Z3 Play with the moto mod is really nice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer