Moto X4 service area

I’ve noticed the moto X4 won’t work in my zip code but the G5+ will. I checked another zip code that has MUCH better (multiple) provider coverage than mine and the X4 won’t work there either. Where does it work? Is that data accurate? Been waiting for it to be released all this year and, oh well, this is a disappointment.

0 Likes

It should work on CDMA later this year.

0 Likes

Hi @danielb.7x6mbi
The phone should work like the Gs5. Try another zip code close to you that you frequent. The maps don’t always hold true and there is a 14 day return guarantee.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The “other” zip code I tried with the X4 allows non CDMA phones to function. Finding the X4 wouldn’t work there had me somewhat concerned.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the announcement. Hopefully my patience will be rewarded. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Not today, it shouldn’t. It only activates with the GSM partner right now. The G5+ activates on both partners.

2 Likes

Thank you @louisdi I must be a little behind on my reading to know that.

0 Likes

I’m looking at the MX4. As I have been reading some of these posts/topics I and trying to get a bit of clarity surrounding coverage and network for the MX4. My coverage area (90% of time) will be 03033, and it looks like I would be on the GSM network (tmobile) vs the CDMA (sprint). However, when I look at 03576 i see a different shading of data/talk&text which tells me that if i lived at that zip it would be a CDMA network and the SIM would be setup for CDMA network. Also the MX4 is not available at 03576.

When comparing the data/talk/text coverage maps for GSM vs CDMA GSM has a lot better coverage statewide as seen when I use 03033.

1. If i get the MX4 for my area 03033, will it be GSM or CDMA?
  2. Will this phone be able to use/switch between GSM/CDMA seamlessly? now or in the future?
  3. Are the phones setup specifically for one network, not both?
  4. If the MX4 is setup for GSM, should I expect to experience coverage as seen on map for 03033 and not 03576?
    Thank you
0 Likes

just to clear up
the Moto G5 Plus (aka Moto G5+) can be activated on both Republic partners)
the Moto G5S Plus (aka Moto G5S+) is like the Moto X4 and can only currently be activated on the GSM partner

0 Likes

If i get the MX4 for my area 03033, will it be GSM or CDMA?

currently all Moto X4 can only be activated on the GSM partner (later it should be possible to move to the CDMA partner but not yet)

Will this phone be able to use/switch between GSM/CDMA seamlessly? now or in the future?

No not on Republic as this is not on a public road-map for Republic (only Google Project Fi has this feature)

Are the phones setup specifically for one network, not both?

Republic phone are one or the other (only Google Project Fi has this feature)

If the MX4 is setup for GSM, should I expect to experience coverage as seen on map for 03033 and not 03576?

You will have the coverage of the GSM partner (T-Mobile)
https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-roamd-34l

1 Like

This MX4 is a project Fi phone. so I don’t understand why this wouldn’t be able to do that?

0 Likes

Two points:

1. The Android One variant only of the Moto X4 is a Project Fi phone. To the best of my knowledge, the Android One variant is sold only by Google.

2. Republic’s network doesn’t offer the ability to seamlessly switch between multiple cellular networks on the fly as Google’s Project Fi does. The only network currently sporting this on the fly switching is Project Fi.

2 Likes

closed #13

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer