Moto X4 - worth the wait?

Android One Moto X on Project Fi is very tempting. My 2nd gen Moto X is ready to be replaced. I wish the Android One version kept the Moto software tweaks, but I could probably learn to live without them in favor of a clean build and faster updates.

Two big pluses that I see for Project Fi is the data refund program similar to what I have now with Republic price plan 2.0 which is no longer available on new phones under Republic 3.0 and the fact that on Project Fi, the phones can switch between CDMA (Sprint & US Cellular) and GSM (TMo) networks, for best reception while with Republic, it’s only one or the other.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to port your current RW phone number over to Google Fi?

In some ways, Android One (at least in the U.S.) seems to be the successor to Google’s Nexus lineup while the Pixels are positioned at the high end.

True, Fi does offer refunds (and other things Republic doesn’t offer such as international service), however, the base is $20 rather than $10 on Republic’s refund plans and $15 on the newer Clear Choice plans. Refunds for the sake of refunds don’t make for a better deal. It depends on the amount of cell data one uses.

Shouldn’t be difficult at all. Fi numbers are T-Mobile MDNs. Everything Fi starts on TMO’s network and branches out from there.

How in the world do you know what bands are supported on a phone doesn’t even exist yet?

Specs for the Moto X4 are available on Motorola’s website.

Ah, I presume you mean this one.

Network bands (by model)
4G LTE (Cat11 DL, Cat5 UL)
CDMA / EVDO Rev A
UMTS / HSPA+
GSM / EDGE
2G: GSM band 2/3/5/8 CDMA BC 0/1/10
3G: WCDMA band 1/2/4/5/8
4G: FDD LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/25/26/28/66
TDD LTE band 38/41

I’m not a network guru, but I guess this is why you say it does not support Band 71? From the little I’ve gathered, Roland’s post about the LG V30 won’t fully play out until sometime next year or later.

yep just expand the specs to full

Also I’m trying to decipher what “LTPS IPS” means. It appears to be conjunction of two different LCD technologies – perhaps to convey that it gives advantages of both technologies (?).

Edit, this seems more helpful.

Wait a minute. The rabbit trail is either deeper than I thought, or this is a mistake:

The Moto X4 has a 5.2-inch AMOLED display, protected by LTPS IPS Corning Gorilla Glass.

Is it plausible to have AMOLED below LTPS IPS? I’m confuzed.

Count me as part of the confused. Some articles I read suggested that the US version would have AMOLED and the international version was going to have LTPS LCD. But essentially, the description from above is all three major screen technologies squished in to one, which makes no sense at all.