Moto Z Bluetooth Not Working After Upgrade

Recently bought a Moto Z Droid for damn near $700. Then I spent another $400 on mods / accessories. Phone was amazing out of the gate. I was prompted for an android update to 7.0. I didn’t think anything of it and upgraded the phone.

Now none o my bluetooth works. It shows it’s on, and it shows scanning for devices… but NOTHING shows up. My car, headphones, and anything else BT related is not working anymore. I tried several factory resets and lots of online “solutions”. Nothing has worked. I spend over a grand on this phone and a basic function of several smart phones doesn’t work. How is this even possible?

The only suggestion which might work is sending it back under warranty. Then I don’t have a phone for several weeks, and it is very likely I get a refurbished phone in place of the $700 one I just bought. No thanks. I was a die hard motorolla fan until this. They’re losing my business after this.

Moderator’s note: Title edited to reduce confusion. Republic Wireless does not support the “Droid” editions.

1 Like

Hopefully, you have reached out to Motorola, as they are the owner/interface of the code update and user feedback is important for moving issues like this towards a fix

Have you tried switching off Bluetooth Scanning under

Settings -> Location -> (3 vertical dots) -> Scanning

I have not reached out to Motorolla. I’ve read other people who have had the same problem. They sent their phone into Motorolla, and received a refurbished phone back later. Not to mention they were out of a phone for several weeks.

I have tried the three dot scanning thing. Does not work.

Droid? Is Verizon your service provider? I’m under the impression the Droid models only work with Verizon.

RW is my provider. I believed I purchased the Droid. It was not the “Z Play” model. Perhaps it was just the “Moto Z”.

Yes, that makes sense. I’m sorry to hear of these issues with the Nougat update. I haven’t received it for my S7 yet which might be a good thing since the have released it for most, if not all, of the carrier-specific S7s and hopefully are working through the problems before shoving it to the unlocked model.

The only suggestion which might work is sending it back under warranty. Then I don’t have a phone for several weeks, and it is very likely I get a refurbished phone in place of the $700 one I just bought. No thanks. I was a die hard motorola fan until this. They’re losing my business after this.

Hi @philipp.oxw1ld,

I’m not seeing a support ticket from you on this issue. It’s possible our support team may have some insight or ideas that could help. If the problem persists after a factory reset without adding any Google account and third-party apps back to the phone, then it would sound like the warranty return may be the solution.

Motorola has an advance exchange program where they will send you the replacement phone before you send in your phone for return, allowing you to activate and transfer your personal content with no lapse of service. They charge a small fee for this convenience. I’m not well-versed in Motorola’s policies, but if the phone is very new, you might be able to persuade them to replace it with a new phone.

I’m not sure what online “solutions” you tried, but here are a few worth trying:

1. Factory reset without restoring a Google account

2. Clear the system cache.

3. Reset the network settings.

1 Like

I tried all of those solutions already. Thank you.

I appreciate the reply. I’ll contact Motorolla and see about getting a new phone. I was hoping a software update would fix the problem… especially considering it’s so common according to my online searches.

I am simply amazed any phone this day has bluetooth problems. Let alone one you pay nearly a thousand bucks for.

philipp.oxw1ld wrote:

… I am simply amazed any phone this day has bluetooth problems. Let alone one you pay nearly a thousand bucks for.
The moral of this story… don’t spend nearly a thousand bucks on a phone. :wink:

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer