Moto Z Play Upgrade Question

I’m upgrading to a Moto Z Play for that battery life. When I bought the phone it was listed as an international version (listed as XT1635-02). Will this work with RW?

Also, my old phone was a Moto X Pure- can I just swap out SIM cards from old phone to new?

Thanks.

Hi @michaels.ck8ukn,

Model 1635-02 is Republic’s specified model for the Moto Z Play, however, that’s supposed to be the North American factory unlocked variant not the international variant. Additionally, if you do have an international variant; it won’t work with Republic.

Do you also see XT1635-02 at Settings -> About phone -> Hardware information ->SKU? If so, then yes moving the SIM from your Moto X Pure to the Z Play should work.

It is the international version, but it has the model number listed on RW’s site. So that part is a bit confusing.

Good to know though!

michaels.ck8ukn wrote:

It is the international version, but it has the model number listed on RW’s site. So that part is a bit confusing.

Good to know though!

I find this both fascinating and potentially very confusing for folks looking to activate bring your own Z Plays on Republic’s network. If you’re game, I’d be very interested in knowing what Republic’s 3.0 app says about compatibility were you to install it: Republic - Android Apps on Google Play.

Yes so I’ve received the Moto Z Play today. I checked in the settings, and it is indeed XT1636-02. So far everything has been pretty much the same as a regular version, except when I went to upgrade my OS with a security patch, all of the information about the upgrade were in spanish- luckily I took Spanish in high school haha.

I’ve swapped over my old SIM from the Pure and have Republic app downloaded. So far, everything works as it should!- texting (SMS and MMS), as well as calling.

@@michaels.ck8ukn, how are you liking the Z Play, in comparison to the X Pure?

Message an
Expert customer