Moto Z Play - Voice Calls - Outgoing Voice Low or Inaudible - Mic works fine for all other purposes

calling
unsolved

Hi,

Our Moto Z Play developed a problem approximately 1 week ago. During voice calls the mic seems to have entered a state where the threshold for voice transmission is unusably high. This problem occurs when the phone is on very stable private wifi, when on very strong signal LTE, and any other connection state.

In standard phone mode: When speaking in a normal voice, nothing at all is heard on the receiving end. When speaking in a loud voice, voice intermittently pops in and out of transmission and is low on the receiving end. When yelling, voice sounds normal, loud, and yelling on the receiving end.

In speakerphone mode: When speaking in a normal voice, nothing at all is heard on the receiving end. When speaking in a loud voice, voice sounds normal and loud on the receiving end. When yelling, voice sounds normal, loud, and yelling on the receiving end.

Mic works perfectly when using google assistant. Mic works perfectly when recording video.

I cleared the cache partition as an early troubleshooting measure - this did not solve the issue. Tests while the phone is in safe mode return the same results as when not in safe mode. Moto Voice assist is disabled. When using the moto help tool to test the microphone the playback is audible but does sound low.

Our current workaround is to put the phone in speakerphone mode and to talk very loudly, but this is incredibly annoying for all parties. I have not tested the device with a bluetooth device as this is not one of our normal use cases.

0 Likes

Hi @retro

Is it at all possible that lint or something has gotten into the microphone hole? Maybe a blast from a can-o-air could fix this. It sure looks like you tried everything else except for a (Gulp!) Factory Rest.

0 Likes

I don’t think that’s the problem as the mic works perfectly when recording video.

0 Likes

I understand @retro
Reading your excellent description of what you tried was imo following the logical path. The problem itself is an odd one as I’m sure you agree!
I did see in your first post about the recording video working. That’s when my next guess (even tho you should be right) would be to try blowing air into the mic to at least remove that as a suspect. :wink:
After that I have no advice other than a Factory Reset. But stick around! There are some smart people on this board that can fixed and investigate your issues to satisfaction!

0 Likes

Ok, I bought some canned air and gave it a good dose of ‘pffffft’. No change in operation, problem still exists. =(

0 Likes

Hi @retro,

Are there any apps you’ve added or recently updated that could be causing a conflict? We’ve seen a few apps manage to persistently conflict even when the phone is being tested in safe mode.

Any voice recording apps on the phone?

Have you recently adjusted any audio settings?

Has the phone recently been dropped or had water damage?

If this phone is still under manufacturer’s warranty or a 1-year extended warranty offered by some credit card companies, you may want to go ahead and endure a factory reset and then test without restoring any apps - just update the system apps and the Republic app. If the problem persists with no third-party apps, it’s time to look into the possibility this is a hardware issue that could be covered under warranty.

1 Like

No drops or water damage. No known adjustment of audio settings.

We’ve gone through and deleted all voice recording apps except one… My wife can’t seem to part with TikTok - she and my daughter goof around on it. Our daughter is getting a phone for her birthday in two weeks, so at that point we’ll try taking that final possible culprit off. If that doesn’t do it, we’ll do the factory reset and cross our fingers. Warranty has expired.

1 Like

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer