Motocare and Moto G5 Plus

Does Motocare support the G5 Plus when purchased from RW? I recall that the G4 was not.

Second, if I buy from elsewhere as a GSM phone with Motocare, will RW turn the phone into a CDMA phone at no charge?

Chris

1. A check of Carrier Compatibility - Moto and Droid Smartphones | Motorola indicates that the G5 they sell as been has been tested and carrier-certified to work on this network.
  2. Check Republic Wireless Coverage Update and CDMA Availability for direction on the CDMA question

You second question regarding RW sending a CDMA SIM for a phone purchased elsewhere is interesting to me. I know they are doing this for some people who purchased the GSM SIM and ran into coverage problems but I don’t know if one can just buy the phone, get the IMEI from it, open a service ticket, and ask for a CDMA SIM. Since there are no CDMA SIM modules available for purchase at this time my guess would be no in this situation but that is just a guess.

@southpaw@rw can you shed some light on this?

It seems to me it would be possible to sell someone a CDMA SIM if they already had the phone’s IMEI.

Hi @christopherc.7o94ku ,

I would defer to Motorola for the Motocare question.

Second, if I buy from elsewhere as a GSM phone with Motocare, will RW turn the phone into a CDMA phone at no charge?

If you activate a phone on our network, and if that phone is capable of supporting CDMA coverage, and if GSM coverage is determined to be inadequate, and if CDMA coverage is determined to be better, our support team would take action to improve your coverage, and there is no fee for this support.

Just a suggestion since presently the Sprint BYOD process is this:

Buy the phone

Verify the MEID/IMEI

Buy a SIM

Take phone and SIM to a Sprint Store

This is from the Sprint site:

It would be even less burdensome if RW’s process was like this:

Buy the phone

Verify the MEID/IMEI

Open a service ticket (could be combined with MEID/IMEI verification)

Buy a configured/registered SIM

No trip to the store required. Either way one must have first purchased and received the phone.

Thanks Jben but know the G5 Plus is supported.

I need to know if MotoCare is supported if the phone is purchased from RW? I recall that the G4 Plus was not.

Chris

Arguably, the question would be best posed to Motorola. Their policies regarding which phones are eligible for MotoCare when purchased elsewhere seem inconsistent. If you wish that conversation may be started here: Live Chat.

See here: Motocare and Moto G5 Plus