Motorola Moto G5 Plus headphone jack stopped working

What phone do you have?

Motorola Moto G5 Plus

What plan are you on?

My Choice + 1 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?

1 GB of Data

Issue Description

My phone no longer recognizes when headphones are put into the phone. I purchased my phone about 4 and a half months ago (about 12/1/2017), and I listen to podcasts on headphones plugged into the headphone jack while I walk to work. A few times over the past month or so, the sound crackled a little, then shut off. Just pushing play again on my podcast app would get it started again. A few days ago, however, the phone just stopped recognizing headphones plugged into the jack at all. I tried with a few different headphones, and the phone would just keep playing out of the speaker instead of redirecting to the headphones. I tried restarting my phone with the headphones plugged in, no use. I downloaded an audio router app, and forced the sound to the headphones, and that worked in that I could hear hear the sound over the headphones, but the audio quality was extremely poor and crackly. I think this means the jack is the problem. Any suggestions for what to do next? I purchased the phone from Amazon.

Thanks in advance!

You may want to test with the function provided by Device Help, which can be found on the :appsicon: and looks like :motohelp: … access the Tab labeled ‘FIX’ then Hardware Test. Assuming it fails, and it was new when purchased you would then follow How to Contact Motorola Support – Republic Help

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t test it properly. Turns out it was my headphones that were the problem…

2 Likes

@benl.5sqsxu,
Thanks for the feedback, Motorola has historically (imho) provided pretty good trouble shooting routines to help narrow down problems. Troubleshooting Guide by Motorola is available as one of the many Tips & Tricks - Community Forums that Republic users have published.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer