When can we expect to see the Motorola’s Moto Z2 Force available on Republic?
Republic doesn’t announce in advance if or when a phone will become available for use. So at this point, we have no idea.
From what I heard, Motorola hasn’t announced an unlocked version yet. Republic has only used unlocked phones (as opposed to unlocked carrier versions) so Republic probably won’t support it until Motorola release the unocked version of the Z2 Force. When it is released, it’s highly probable that Republic will support it. All that being said, Republic doesn’t comment on which phones are currently in the works. Only they know which phones are coming. Stay tuned to the community for new phone announcements!
Can’t we get a T-Mobile variant from Swappa? Won’t it work? I doubt it.
It will not. Only the legacy Republic specific Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2 or the new BYOP phones below can be used with Republic.
- Moto X Pure Edition (XT1575)
- Moto G4 (XT1625)
- Moto G4 PLUS (XT1644)
- Moto G4 Play (XT1607)
- Moto G5 (XT1687)
- Nexus 5X by LG (LGH790)
- Nexus 6P by Huawei (H1511)
- Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) (SM-J320A) – There are multiple versions of the J3. The AT&T Go Phone model will not work. The version compatible with Republic has a Build number of MMB29K.J320AUEU2AQB1, MMB29K.J320AUES2APJ2, or MMB29K.J320AUEU1APE9
- Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920T) – There are two versions of this phone with the same model number. Samsung created a carrier build and an unlocked build for the same model number. The builds are not interchangeable. Republic only supports the unlocked build (go to Settings -> About device -> Build number, it should be MMB29K.G920TUES5DQB1, MMB29K.G920TUES5DQA1, MMB29K.G920TUES5DPL1, MMB29K.G920TUES5DPK1, MMB29K.G920TUES5DPI2, MMB29K.G920TUES4DPH2, MMB29K.G920TUEU4DPG2, MMB29K.G920TUES4DPF1 or MMB29K.G920TUEU3DPD6
- Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930U)
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935U)
- Moto Z (XT1650-03)
- Moto Nexus 6 (XT1103)
- Google Pixel (G-2PW4100) – Must be running software build NDE63L
- Google Pixel XL (G-2PW2100) – Must be running software build NDE63L
- Moto Z Play (XT1635-02)
- Huawei Ascend (5W H1623) – Must be running software build H1623C435B131
- Alcatel A30 (5046G)
- Moto E4 (XT1723)
More information is available here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help
If you get a T-Mobile variant and flash it to the unlocked firmware/ the firmware Republic supports (assuming it gains support) then it’s possible it may work. However, Republic won’t be able to help you should you run into issues.
US GSM Unlocked (ATT+TMO):
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (B1, 2, 4, 5, 8)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41-Japan & China, 66, 252, 255)
Looks like the US GSM Unlocked version is currently available for pre-order. Will RW approve?
That was intended as a statement not a question.
Context: “?” = question mark.
If one goes to Moto’s preorder page for the Z2 Force, the drop down menu options offered are Verizon, Sprint, TMO and U.S. Cellular. No mention of AT&T or factory unlocked. If one selects the TMO variant, the color selection changes from black or gold to lunar gray only. Elsewhere on Moto’s site the Z2 Force in lunar gray is referred to as a TMO exclusive.
Is the software for this lunar gray TMO exclusive and the other carrier branded variants the same as a forthcoming AT&T and/or factory unlocked variant? Maybe, maybe not but Moto itself isn’t calling what’s being offered for preorder factory unlocked, so caveat emptor.