MotoZ3 Screen Locking all the Time

MotoZ3
Choice Plan with data and text

I have a Moto Z3. The screen locks all the time on me… even after I have just entered the PIN and unlocked the screen. Sometimes it will lock again before I can even get to an app! I have checked the Settings and have:

1 Fingerprint set up (but when the screen locks, I almost always have to enter the PIN)
Face Unlock set up

Any ideas?

Thank you

Hi Obie,

Have you checked the screen lock timeout in Settings? If not:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap Display.
  3. Tap Advanced.
  4. Tap Sleep.

Yes, it is set for 2 minutes so that is not the issue.

I don’t remember seeing this as a fix for ‘screen lock’, but there have been cases where a Ring Tone didn’t work, and the fix was to change it to a different Ring Tone, test and then return to desired tone.
You may want to try this with the Screen Lock … post back if this helps or not

Hi @Obie,

One security option for the Moto Z3 is to touch the fingerprint sensor to lock the phone. Is there any chance you have that enabled and are touching the fingerprint sensor while using the phone?

to @jben ben: I tried setting my phone to sleep after 5 minutes but it always reverts to 2 minutes. So even if that was a fix my phone will not cooperate

to southpaw: My phone locking itself up does not appear to have anything to do with me touching the phone sensor.

So if anyone has any more ideas, they would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Did you apply the Android Pie update on your phone yet?
I would try turning off that face unlock to see if that would fix it.

I have Android v. 8.1.0 Kernal version 4.4.78.

I just diabled Face Unlock and will let you know how it goes.

Thank you.

My Z3 Play is on:
Android version 9
PPW29.183-29-1
April 1, 2019 Security Patch Level
Kernel Version: 4.4.153-perf-gbffe3a1

But who knows, the Pie update may fix this problem and break 2 others?

@obie Any update on this issue?

Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked. In the mean time the screen on my MotoZ3 Play got trashed so I purchased a MotoZ4. We will see how things go this time around.

Thank you for all of your help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer