Move contacts to SD card, Android 8.0

I have a Moto Z Play with Android 8.0 I want to move my contacts to my SD card. I’ve seen 2 posts with replies, neither applies to 8.0.

And whty can’t google leave stuff alone! Settings should be universal from one version to the next! If it ain’t broke, DON’T fix it!

0 Likes

While not specific to Android 8.0, please see if this guidance from Republic helps: How to Move Your Contacts to Your SD Card – Republic Help. I’m curious as to the reason for wanting to move contacts to an SD card. Is this for backup purposes? Otherwise, I ask because contacts take up very little space on one’s phone.

Ain’t broke is in the eye of the beholder and, in this case, it’s Google that is the beholder. In short, because they can. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

yes I want a hard backup, and no, I won’t use google. The republic helps is useless, neither replies apply to my OS

0 Likes

I would point out you use Google everyday merely by using your phone. Android is Google.

I’m sorry the help document I referenced didn’t address your specific scenario, however, I ask that you keep in mind here we are customers doing our best to help other customers. Calling something someone took the time to point to useless doesn’t necessarily inspire folks to want to help further. Anyway, here’s how to export contacts to an SD card on Android 8.0 as tested on my Moto G6 Play running Oreo:

1. Open Contacts.
  2. Tap Menu (three stacked lines upper left).
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Under Manage contacts, tap Export.
  5. Select the account from which you wish to export contacts, then tap Export to .vcf file.
  6. From the resulting Downloads screen, again tap Menu (three stacked lines upper left).
  7. Select your SD card.
  8. Tap Save lower right.

If you ask me it would be much easier to use Google or another cloud service.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

I merely meant it was of no use to me, it just lead to dead ends. I’m sure it’s relevant to the specific android version it was meant for. No insult intended. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be asking about sending the file to the SD card if i had any interest in cloud storage. Sorry, say what you will, but a hard backup is still the most reliable. Having been a computer professional, backups in triplicate is my protocol, and 2 of them are to SD cards.

1 Like

Hi @leslieb.6tqjyy,

Among the challenges of online communication is lack of audio and visual cues like tone of voice or body language. When all one sees is the written word, it’s easy to “hear” something in a way not intended. I appreciate your clarification of intent. I wasn’t overly offended or I would not have taken the time to provide alternative steps.

Regarding the help article I originally referenced; it doesn’t state specifically which versions of Android it’s intended for though it may have been written before Oreo’s release? Anyway, I’m in a position to mention that needs to be defined and will do so.

1 Like

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer