MoviePass - Movie Theater Subscription Service

Although I love my Republic Wireless service, I have been spending time doing other things including work, rest and relaxation. MoviePass currently is a new service I started using last month so I figured I share my experience on my movie going :movie_camera:.

This is my quick review of the MoviePass Service . To make it slightly related to this forum :smirk: it is a review of the MoviePass Google Play App

Quick Summery

MoviePass is an American subscription-based movie ticketing service. Founded in 2011 and headquartered in New York City, the service allows subscribers to purchase a single movie ticket per-day for a flat subscription fee per-month ($9.95). The service utilizes a mobile app, where users check-into a cinema and choose a film and show time, which results in the cost of the ticket being loaded to a prepaid debit card, which is used to purchase the ticket from the cinema as usual.

My Review

MoviePass is an interesting service. Pay a fixed subscription fee and watch all the movies you want in theaters. Well, up to one movie a day. I knew about the service from a long time ago when it popped onto my radar. When it first started, it seemed like a good idea but it was priced at $30 a month and my “disposable” income just didn’t cover it. Recently, under new management and new directions of where they want to bring the service, the price dropped to $10 a month. Costco also has a deal for a year which brings it even lower. I’m also working now which means I have actual money to save and spend :smile:

I asked my friends if they heard about it, they said they had but they don’t watch enough movies in a year to justify a purchase. I didn’t either before where I would go only a couple times a year.

Now that I have the service, I feel like I can be a bit more spontaneous where if I have a weekday off because of my schedule, I can go see a movie. It changes the equation from if the movie is worth the price to if the movie is worth your time and interest. If the movie was not exactly what you were expecting, then your money wasn’t wasted.

However, like any subscription service, it is all about money in, money out. Because of the growth of the company (a quick couple of million subscribers in a few months give or take), some are wondering how the company will survive. They are paying the tickets for each movie but only getting $10 a month from each user. There is funding behind the company but some part of the business plan involves using data to understand the users, and being part of the movie business itself with licensing of movies. As part of big business such as Redbox, Netflix, possibly Amazon, you have to spend money to make money (as you reach the critical mass of users).

It is a tradeoff in many ways. You get a fantastic deal on watching movie theater movies, but like many thing on the internet, you pay with a bit of your privacy and data. Some other issues that people have been facing is not reading the fine print. Moviepass as a service only allows for one ticket per user at a time and one only. To make sure that the card will work for all movies, MoviePass will load extra money to account for changing ticket prices and taxes and take back what wasn’t used. Some couples / families are hitting trouble because the casher (or themselves) try to run tickets together although can be split between multiple cards, triggers fraud and account flags. Customer service is also still playing catch up to the number of users they have.

Overall, it works for me and I am enjoying using it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/unlimited-movie-theater-deal-could-be-too-good-to-survive/ar-BBIZgyv

Besides the business model, locally I struggle with having to go to the theater to get the tickets. My local theaters allow ticket purchases with seat selection weeks in advance on their website, but not easily in the box office. It makes for a bad experience because going to the theater to buy the ticket when it is easy to do there usually means bad seats.

I would suggest another ticket provider for your needs.

:flight_departure:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Did you read the OP? There isn’t “another ticket provider” in context to the original post.

I realized after reading the thread that the last time I was in a movie theater was when my child was around 7-8 yrs. old…I’m out.
:smiley:

Although MoviePass doesn’t allow for advanced tickets, some users are able to figure out ways to “work around” the limitations. If a movie theater is on the way to work for example, you are allowed to get same day tickets in the morning for a late evening showing. Depending on the theater, I also know that there are movies I can go to when the popularity dies down a bit so there isn’t a mad rush for seats.

On the other hand, it isn’t like there isn’t competition out there as well.
There is one company called Sinemia which allows for 2 or 3 movies a month with no premium or advanced purchase limitations.
Cinamark also has introduced their own subscription service for one movie a month (cheaper than prime time tickets) and the tickets roll over if not used. Extra tickets can also be bought for the same price (aka seeing an evening weekend showing for savings)

I’ll look. The issue for me is that the popular movies at the theater I prefer sell out 3-5 days in advance.

We have an independent cinema less that a mile from my house. $6.50 admission ($8.50 for 3D). We just walk up ten minutes before the movie starts, get our popcorn, and go in and sit where we want. I’ve never even considered advanced tickets. Of course the popcorn is a little better at the Cinemark affiliated theaters in town.

well: https://www.cnet.com/news/moviepass-outage-read-the-full-apology-from-ceo-mitch-lowe/