Moving files on Moto G7 play to SD card

I have a Moto G7 Play. I put a 32 GB SD card into the phone for extra storage. It asked me if i wanted to use the card as extra internal storage and I said yes. My phone says my internal storage is 30.21 of 32 gb used. The SD card shows 19 of 32 GB used. I want to see what is on the SD card, and also move my music from the internal storage to the SD card. How do I do this?

Hello @chunga0z :slight_smile:

When you formatted your SD card as “internal storage” your phone treats the SD card as an extension of its internal storage. I would suggest reformatting it as external or portable storage instead. That way you can move data between the phones built-in storage and the SD card.

To move your files I would simply hook your phone up to your computer. (Let us know if you need help with that). :wink:

The app I use to view and handle files is Files by Google:

Hope this is of help.

1 Like

I have this app and use it frequently to rid my phone of junk files, etc. If I have 64GB of space (32 phone and 32 SD card) why does my phone show that the internal storage show as full and 19 used on the SD card. I cannot see what is on the SD card except for Android files. (I did connect the phone to my computer originally so that I could try to transfer the music over.) If I technically have 12+ GB of space left, why do I keep getting messages that my storage is full?

I believe the phone is telling you exactly how it has used the “pool” of storage you have made by formatting the SD card as “internal”.

That is because it is formatted as “internal” and not “portable” This is why you can’t…

It probably is using the SD card storage for some of your apps as well (that would probably be the Android files you can see).

I am not a fan of using SD cards as part of the internal storage (here is another post about using them you might like to read to see why I fee the way I do). :wink:

This (and other reasons), is why I recommend using SD card as portable. You would then be able to move files around when you are hooked up to your computer directly to the SD card.

1 Like

I want to echo that the SD card should be formatted as external, but also add my own experience. I have a Moto G6, and when I initially had my SD card formatted as internal storage it slowed the phone waaaaaaaaay down. It would take my phone 20-30 seconds more than my wife’s G6 to launch the same app. Since reformatting the card to external, no issues at all.

3 Likes

Google hijacked your SD. With your permission, of course, but without explaining it was taking your card under the Google umbrella it is hard to tell what happened until you want to manage your card and the files on it.

Format your card. Download Cx File Explorer from Play Store. Use Cx Explorer to view and manage your files on Local Storage, SD card, System files, Download, Recycle Bin, Images, Audio, Videos, Documents, New Files. Whenever Google helpfully offers to manage your photos, etc. Just Say No and use Cx File Explorer instead. It’s much easier and keeps control of your files within your SD card.

With an adapter to your C or micro port you can load files from a USB drive onto the SD card. That’s handy when traveling when you want copies of files on the USB drive also backed up to your phone’s SD card.

When you format the microSD card as internal storage a couple things happen:

• Android formats and changes the microSD card’s FAT32 or exFAT format to ext4 or f2fs.

• Android encrypts the microSD card such that it gets tied to a specific Android device. The key used to encrypt the data on the SD card is stored on the Android device’s internal memory.

3 Likes

I meant to thank you for your info days ago.

I use Cx File Explorer which reads my USB roach formatted in exFAT.

Yeah, I meant to ask you about CX File Explorer. Do you know who the developer is? I can’t find any info except that they have a Gmail address listed on Google Play, and their privacy policy lists an e-mail address that seems to resolve to a server in Korea. I’m always a little leery of putting an app on my phone when I don’t know anything about it’s origin. I primarily use Files by Google.

Don’t know the dev. I simply trusted Google Play and the fact that it is open source which usually, eventually flags renegades. Still, Korea would make me ditch the app. They are extraordinarily smart, but that can make one a little leery. Is the server an IVPN?

:man_shrugging:
androidpub(dot)com
Server: Apache/2.4.10 (Debian)
Server IP: 49.247.205.233
Server Location: ,Korea, Republic of
ISP: Smileserv

The nationality of the developer wouldn’t necessarily give me pause. The anonymity does.

2 Likes

Based of some of your previous posts, you seem cautious about trusting Google generally. I’m not saying that’s wrong per se, however, I find it curious that you simply trusted Google’s Play store on this one.

For open source Android apps, I prefer F-Droid. I don’t see CX File Explorer listed there.

1 Like

I’m miss the old days when we paid people for their surveys and private data which back then would have raised eyebrows when asking them to part freely with the data so typically collected “anonymously” today. So, I am uncomfortable with Google vacuuming my data unless I wade through pages and pages of their privacy pages simply to prevent what I can from being sold for profit without including me in the profit sharing. It’s just a matter of personal principle. It seems so wrong to trade app use for privacy theft, but that’s the bargain we all have to participate if we want to make mobile phone calls and mostly free app use.

It’s still a crapshoot, not always, to download from Google Play but I use it because I hope it is the lesser of the evils for downloading apps. [This forum ware editor thinks “crapshoot” should be two words. Ha.]

Thanks for the tip on F-Droid. I’ll take a tryout. I also give pause to devs who use an invisibility cloak regarding location.

Message an
Expert customer