Moving from iPhone to Android : How to Sync iCloud Mail

iphone_to_android

Contrary to what one might think, Apple’s iCloud mail, calendars and contacts will indeed work with our Republic (and other) Android phones.

There are a couple of prerequisites:

1. Turn on two factor authentication for your Apple ID. Please see Apple’s documentation here: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID.
  2. Generate app specific password(s). Apple describes that in this document: Using app-specific passwords.

The best way to use iCloud mail is Google’s Gmail app already on one’s phone. Here’s how to set up Gmail:

1. Open the Gmail app.
  2. Tap three stacked lines upper left.
  3. Scroll to, then tap Settings.
  4. Tap Add account.
  5. Tap Other.
  6. Enter your iCloud email address in the format of your_apple_user_name@icloud.com.
  7. Enter the app specific password, generated at Apple’s website.

If you’ve been an Apple user for some time, you may be aware Apple first branded its cloud services as .Mac and later MobileMe. Consequently, you may have a legacy mac.com and/or me.com email address. Unfortunately, Gmail dislikes mac.com and me.com addresses. Fortunately, it’s easy to work around.

Some background, mac.com originated when Apple branded its cloud services as .Mac. Then Apple rebranded .Mac as MobileMe and we gained me.com addresses. Finally, Apple settled on iCloud and iCloud.com email addresses. Apple had the foresight to map both mac.com and me.com email addresses to icloud.com email addresses. In other words, if your email address were republic_member@mac.com or republic_member@me.com, then republic_member@icloud.com goes to the same mailbox. You don’t need to tell others to stop sending email to you at mac.com or me.com, Apple takes care of and redirects everything sent to mac.com or me.com to icloud.com in the background.

Moving from iPhone to Android: An Overview
Can't send emails using @me.com
Facebook Live Event -- iOS to Android: Could you make the switch? (2/27/18)