Must I use Republic Anywhere for messaging on a Moto x4?

I just got my new phone and am reading install info. It mentions messaging program but I have always used Signal for messaging as it is encrypted. Is RW Anywhere encrypted messaging?

To be clear, Signal is encrypted only when you message other people who also use Signal. When you do so, it I no longer a text message and uses cellular data to send, so Signal messages will only send when the phone has a wifi connected or active data connections.

With that out of the way, text messages are not encrypted, no matter what client you use to send them. EDITED TO ADD: It was pointed out to me that I should clarify this. Signal messages are end-to-end encrypted. Meaning that from the time they leave your phone, to the time the recipient gets them, they’re encrypted. Text messages are not. However, when using Republic anywhere, the text message is SSL encrypted on its way to Republic. By nature, it must then be unencrypted to be sent to the other party (as with any text message, on any carrier). So, there is encryption in part of the path.

Finally, you should be able to use Signal, I’ve used it successfully. That being said, it is not supported by Republic and support won’t be able to help you with troubleshooting should it not work properly.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Message an
Expert customer