My Discourse Cheat Sheet

I am starting this topic to serve as my cheat-sheet for features I find useful

The new forums have a pretty cool bot to help you explore the various features
Just send a private message to
@discobot start new user
This will start an interactive message chain and help you learn how to do different things on the new community. So check it out!
When you complete the tutorial you will receive a cool certificate that looks like this

General Browsing and Shortcuts

1. Type “?” on any page to get a list of Keyboard shortcuts.
  2. Hovering over the relative timestamp of posts gives you the absolute timestamp.
  3. Whenever a discussion is linked in another discussion, it will show the link(s) at the bottom of the primary post at the top of the discussion.

Creating/Editing Posts

1. You can make a post a WiKi if you want others to be able to edit it too.
    Click on three dots -> wrench ->Make WiKi
  2. Clicking on "Quote over any selected text, starts a new reply with quote. This is a user-configurable setting, configured through
    Settings -> Interface
  3. Here is a great tutorial for learning Markdown
    Markdown Tutorial
    Note: Not all markdown functionality is supported in Discourse
  4. To create a link to a specific post, click on the timestamp in the top right of the post. The link includes your username at then end…so you will need to manually delete it.
  5. In order to display special characters such as * you will need to include a trailing \.
    So you actually type \* to display * in your post. You can also achieve this by using the
    </> icon on the top of the editor window to place any special characters in a box of pre-formatted text. Any text inside these single quotes will appear as typed and all special characters are ignored including * \ and so on.
  6. The editor window can re-sized by dragging the two horizontal lines at the top of the window. The editor window has visibility across all open Discourse tabs. So be careful which discussion you use to add your post to, once you are done typing it. In Jive we were used to having several Jive windows open if you were bringing in relevant content from them.
  7. For strikethrough type [s]strikethrough[/s] or ~~strikethrough~~
    and for underline type [u]underline[/u]
  8. To get this TEXT - type this <small>TEXT</small>
    To get this TEXT - type this <big>TEXT</big>
    Thanks @c1tobor
  9. To post a Google map into Discourse
    Google map > share > embed code and place that in the Discourse composer
    Thanks @seanr
  10. Have you ever started responding to a post and found out that someone just posted
    something that may obviate your post? Discourse has a way to show you that someone else is responding to a post, even when the post is not posted to the discussion. When you are typing in the editor box, look in the top right corner…if someone else is also responding to the same post, it will show their profile icon.
10 Likes

Only Trust Level 3 users can make a topic a Wiki and only Trust Level 2 and above can participate, but it is very valuable to have people in the know help keep content up-to-date.

You can also highlight the text you want to pre-format and use the </> icon in the format bar.

Good Work!!

2 Likes

From my research these were previously non-functional and not included in the tutorial. However, it appears they are now functional.

underline = [u]underline[/u]
strikethrough = [s]strikethough[/s]

(maybe this is already well known but it took me awhile to find it, might help others save some time).

`

2 Likes

I was wondering about those, since they are not available in the quick click menus.
Thanks for sharing these!

1 Like

While most of the new threads here in Discourse are relatively short, they are bound to grow over time.

I find the scrolling to be a little annoying in longer threads when trying to move from first to last post or visa-versa.

By clicking the Topic Progress count

You can get to

and navigate to

Handy little feature when browsing through long threads.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to work for me. The Topic Progress Count is not clickable.

I can however use the shortcut “#” to jump to a post number in any topic.

That’s odd.

Ok, I see it now…but I only see it when I am in the editor window…otherwise I just see the number on the timeline slider and that one doesn’t seem to be clickable.

That view only shows on the reply mode and mobile mode of the browser.

2 Likes

Had to figure this back out as I had forgotten how when I wanted to use it… Never hurts to practice.

<small>TEXT</small> = TEXT

<big>TEXT</big> =TEXT

1 Like

Did you know you can embed a google map?

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d206989.87646267115!2d-78.78514056242541!3d35.84368666168971!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x89ac5a2f9f51e0f7%3A0x6790b6528a11f0ad!2sRaleigh%2C+NC!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1500239361373" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 Like

That’s pretty cool…but I didn’t fully follow how you generate the content to be included.
Is it a simple right click on the map or it is more involved?

Good question.

I just found a Google map > share > embed code and placed that in the Discourse composer.

1 Like

Like this?

3 Likes

It works!..Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s pretty cool.
:relaxed:

[quote=“seanr, post:23, topic:253”]
Google map > share > embed code
[/quote]FYI, that’s clear as mud for most non-tech folks.

I finally discovered the process after finding a google tips page after a web search…

Was on my mobile phone so in-depth instructions were not going to be possible.

Just to add, you do not have to have the ending syntax unless you want to change back.

Example:
If I end here, I do not need the “ending” syntax. </small>

But I do need it if I want to change font-size again.

Message an
Expert customer