My mobile number is not eligible to port. What does it mean? What can I do?

I presently have Cricket, and find that at times voice service in my Florida home can be spotty - in my New Jersey home it’s great. Also, T-Mobile’s map seems to have strong service at Florida address. I’m intrigued by the possibility of changing to Republic as my wifi in strong in Florida. Here’s the problem - my mobile number is ineligible for porting. This is a BIG deal - I’ve had this number over 20 years and have no desire to change. Is there any workaround? If not, I will sadly have to abandon the idea of switching to Republic.

You might be able to port it to Google Voice and from there forward it to your Republic Wireless number.

Hi @iluvcisle,

Do you know why your mobile number is ineligible for porting? FCC regulations require your present service provider to let you port your number out.

That said, the requirement to allow you to port out doesn’t mean Republic is able to accept your number. Did Republic’s Number Checker report your number couldn’t be ported to Republic?

Regarding the suggestion to try Google Voice, if the issue is Republic’s inability to accept your number, that’s unlikely to work. Google Voice uses the same carrier (Bandwidth.com) to host numbers that Republic does.

I have no idea - Republic checker said “sorry - no can do” - I couldn’t
find a reason. My number started out as a Verizon post-paid, became a
Verizon pre-paid, then transferred to Cricket. I’m surprised since it’s
such an old number. I didn’t think Google Voice would work. Thanks for
the response. Guess this just won’t work for me (sighs deeply).

Hi @iluvcisle,

Thank you for the additional information. Some context on the reason Republic is unable to accept your number:

Republic, like all service providers, relies on a Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) to host phone numbers. LEC is telephone industry jargon for phone company. Republic (like Google Voice) uses Bandwidth.com, as its’ LEC. Use of Bandwidth is part of Republic’s blended WiFi/cell service. Bandwidth needs to have “presence” in the rate center where the number you wish to transfer (port) is located. A rate center is a geographic area, usually but not always a city or town. The rate center your number is located in is determined by the area code and prefix (first six digits) of your phone number. No carrier has presence in every rate center. Bandwidth has presence in most but not all rate centers. Unfortunately, if Bandwidth does not have presence in your number’s rate center, you will not be able to bring it to Republic.

An analogy that might help make sense of this. I grew up in Massachusetts where Papa Gino’s is a popular place to get pizza. Now that I’m in Florida as much as I’d like to purchase a Papa Gino’s pizza, I’m unable to do so because they have no restaurants (presence) here.

If interested, I could provide some alternatives to Google Voice that would be able to accept your current number, which you would then forward to a new Republic number. Unlike Google Voice, these would be paid not free alternatives. Candidly, you might find taking your number to a mobile provider other than Republic to be more practical.

Wow! Thank you for your very understandable explanation. Looks like this
just isn’t going to work for me. I’ve had this number so long - back in
the day when it was just 30 min./month with no text and of course no data -
and I’m attached to it. A double transfer just seems fraught with danger
in terms of losing my number. Maybe a T-Mobile or Verizon MVNO might
improve the issues I’ve experienced in Florida. Thanks again for your
help.

Impressive @rolandh…thanks for sharing. I also want some Papa Gino’s pizza!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.