My phone is not recognised as belonging to me when I need a text message for security purposes

What phone do you have? Moto E2
What plan are you on? Talk, text and data
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Yes, data.

Issue Description

Motorola E2 with talk, message and data. The Experian hack resulted in $21000+ fraudulent charges. When I called the credit card company, they could not confirm my Republic phone as belonging to me so that I could get a text message to confirm my identity to cancel my card and stop the charges.

Why???

(Moderator’s note: Two posts merged into one.)

Hi @droon,

Really sorry to hear you’ve been caught up in the Experian fiasco. Generally, what you describe is the result of one of two things.

The first is Republic’s numbers are Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). The FCC classifies VoIP numbers as landlines (wireline is the more correct telecom term). Although Republic’s numbers are perfectly capable of receiving text messages, some organizations refuse to recognize this. There is nothing Republic can do to change this regulatory classification.

The second thing that comes to mind is Republic is a prepaid rather than a postpaid service. Because prepaid numbers typically aren’t listed anywhere, it isn’t as easy to verify them as postpaid numbers.

Does the credit card issuer in question have alternative means other than receiving a text message to confirm your identity? I’m thinking they must as though it’s unusual these days, some still don’t own a cell phone.

Lastly, I realize this may not be very comforting right now, however, the most one can be held accountable on an unauthorized charge is $50. This is written into federal statute, specifically the Fair Credit Billing Act. More on that here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards. Speaking as a former banker, I’ve never seen a bank actually impose even the $50. It will take time and unfairly some effort on your part but this will get sorted.

2 Likes

The interesting coda to this is that my wife also has a Republic phone and was able to receive the text message confirming our identity. Her number was confirmed by the CC company but mine was not. This is why I am raising a stink. Her number was transferred from a Verison account years ago while mine originally came from Republic. I don’t understand the difference.

(Moderator’s note: Personal information redacted.)

1 Like

The Bank is not even looking up a current list for the number. Sounds like they are just looking up who owns the number block. We are a Voice Over Internet company and the FCC regulates those numbers as Wireline that could be the issue or that the bank only validates numbers from specific carriers. Only they know their rules and criteria.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer