My phone won't call an Alaska based phone, others will

What phone do you have? Samsung Galaxy S7 on CDMA network

What plan are you on? Talk and Text, 1GB data

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Includes 1GB data/month

Issue Description

I am unable to call an Alaska based phone, the provider is GCI (General Communications Incorporated-- www.gci.com), a GSM provider. I can text, send both SMS and MMS, receive calls, but I can’t call the same #. Other people on AT&T and Verizon phones call with no problems.

Hi @cole103 and welcome to the Community!

Indeed, GCI is the primary provider of cellular service in Alaska. Is the issue limited to this one GCI number? Might you know someone else on GCI, you could call as a test?

No, I don’t

I just called a business # in Nome, Alaska and got thru w/o a problem, but I’m not sure it was a GCI Mobile #

I called another mobile GCI # in Alaska with the same result—no incoming call, but text is OK

My phone works perfectly calling an AT&T based phone in Alaska, but AT&T coverage in Alaska is really spotty.

Hi @cole103,

My apologies for not responding sooner and thank you for tracking down another GCI number to test with. Given the results of that test, I don’t believe this is something we’ll resolve here in Community.

If not already done, please open a help ticket here: Republic Help. This sounds like a call routing issue between Republic and GCI. In the ticket, I suggest referencing the GCI number(s) as well as the time and date of the calls.

As the the issue might lie with Republic, GCI or somewhere in between, I also suggest the GCI customer you know go ahead and advise GCI they’re having an issue receiving calls from you.

Message an
Expert customer