Need a replacement phone, Moto E 2nd Gen or Moto G 2nd Gen

What is the best way to buy one of these phones? My Moto E 2nd Gen was stolen. A friend had given it to me after I had lost the same model phone. (I’ve had some bad phone luck.)

My previous phone was the Moto G 23rd Gen. I’m on the 2.0 plan and I need to keep that plan.

Thanks!

ebay, buyer beware (Caveat emptor)

https://www.ebay.com/b/Republic-Wireless-Cell-Phones-Smartphones/9355/bn_55182811
swappa

craigslist again Caveat emptor

you just have to be very sure it is an RW compatible phone your really looking for… lot of miss/bad info from some of the sellers…

you can’t do any buying and selling in the forums but you can do direct message. just click on user name in the post and then message button…

and I can only get the same model that I previously owned, correct?

This is going to be really tough. If I can’t keep my 2.0 plan, I’ll probably have to leave RW.

Republic Wireless 1.0 and 2.0 Phones

The Republic Wireless version of the following phones work with Republic Refund (2.0) and Republic 1.0 Plans*.

• Moto E1 (XT1019)
  • Moto E2 (XT1526)
  • Moto G1 (XT1031)
  • Moto G3 (XT1548)
  • Moto X1 (XT1049)
  • Moto X2 (XT1094)

Please note: Phones supported on our My Choice plans, can’t be activated on our Republic Refund or Republic 1.0 plans.

*If activating as a new service line, these phones will only work with Republic Refund plans. These phones are no longer available through our online store.

has to be one of the above phone, and it has to have the RW rom in it… there are same phones out there and the seller will tell you it is RW phone but it will not be. again it has to have the RW custom rom and it should come with the sim for that phone, cdma.

I’m confused. I have the original (I think) 2.0 plan pre-refund. Ten dollars with unlimited text, talk and data with wifi, with the choice if changing plans 2x a month.

sounds like the 1.0 but that was before my time.
I joined RW during the 2.0 refund plan.
someone else that knows more will need to jump in on this…

Hi @jamied.gygmwp,

Based on your description, it does seem you are using one of Republic’s grandfathered 1.0 plans. The only way to keep that plan going forward is by replacing your phone with a Republic specific legacy phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2). If any such phone you’re considering is represented as unlocked or as working on a network other than Republic, stay away as it will not work with Republic. Republic’s guidance on the matter is here: Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help. You’ve already received good advice regarding venues for sourcing previously used legacy Republic phones.

As the newest of these previously used legacy phones would be over 3 years old, I respectfully suggest you may want to reconsider a newer Republic phone. I realize that at $15/month, the equivalent My Choice plan will be an effective price increase for you. Even at $15/month, I think you’ll find Republic competitive for unlimited talk and text. Any smartphone with any carrier provides for “unlimited” WiFi data because one doesn’t pay their mobile phone provider for that.

I’m pretty sure that it’s the 2.0 plan. It’s $15 per month including tax. Do the new plans still have talk, text and data with wifi? I am not interested in buying data. I am on disability with a fixed income.

Hi @jamied.gygmwp,

You’ve mentioned having a pre-refund plan with the option of changing plans twice per month. That would be a grandfathered 1.0 plan. 2.0 plans are refund plans. For you, it’s a distinction without a difference as the $10 (plus taxes) unlimited talk, text but no cell data plan is functionally the same on either 1.0 or 2.0.

Republic’s My Choice plan is $15 (plus taxes) for the same unlimited talk, text but no cell data. One is not required to purchase cell data with My Choice. Just as with Republic’s earlier plans, it’s an option. And, just as with Republic’s earlier plans, you’ll have access to WiFi data anywhere you have it now.

Bottom line, what will change for you is the cost of your monthly plan will go from $10 plus taxes to $15 plus taxes. In exchange, you’ll have access to newer more capable phones.

But will I have the same call and texting with wifi and with cell?

Yes, unlimited talk and text on both WiFi and cell. The only additional consideration might be coverage. For more insight on that without bogging you down with technical details, would you be willing to share your zip code?

and data with wifi? Why would coverage be an issue? I’ve been with RW for several years.

As mentioned previously nothing changes with WiFi data. To be clear, Republic does not and never has supplied WiFi data. Rather WiFi might be supplied by you (home network), one’s employer (work network) or other 3rd party (public WiFi hotspot).

What Republic does do that many other service providers don’t is leverage those WiFi connections for both calling and text messaging. Again, nothing changes when moving from a legacy Republic phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2) to a newer Republic supported phone. Whatever a legacy phone does on WiFi, a newer phone will do on WiFi.

I am referring to cellular coverage. Republic’s newer phones are provisioned for cellular coverage with one of two cellular network partners. One partner is Sprint and as you probably know, your current phone uses Sprint’s network for cellular talk and text access. With newer phones, Republic has added a second network partner. Said second partner operates a GSM network. Depending upon one’s location that GSM partner might provide better, worse or equivalent coverage. If purchasing a new phone directly from Republic, one need not concern themselves with this as Republic will choose which partner a phone is provisioned for cellular coverage with based on which partner is likely to offer the best coverage experience for your area. If you are considering the possibility of sourcing a newer Republic phone elsewhere, it will activate for cellular coverage with Republic’s GSM partner rather than Sprint.

Nothing involved with cellular coverage impacts a Republic phone’s use of WiFi in any way whatsoever. I had hoped not to bore you with technical detail. Unless sourcing a newer Republic supported phones elsewhere, I suggest you not concern yourself with it.