Need help entering contacts that can be edited

Hello,
I have a Motorola G (the first one) that I am having an issue with.
Can anyone help me on entering contacts into my phone? I can enter a number and save it, but if I go in and look at it says “phone only unsynced contact” on it. I mainly want to be able to change the ring tone for my contacts to something besides the default ringtone that is also what plays for unknown callers. I think I have to sync the contacts to something to be able to do this? I have a couple contacts that show as synced to an old email account that I had at my last job. Do I have to give these to google some how?
Is there some other way to change the ringtones for people in my contacts from the default ring tone? The biggest thing I want is to be able to tell people I know from other incoming calls.

Thanks

Is there a Google Account (a Gmail account) )on the Phone?
If so make sure you are syncing the contacts (go to setting :settingsicon: in the app Drawer :appsicon:
scroll down to account and tap google accounts and then tap the Gmail address being used and make sure the contact is switch on.
I found the best way to edit contacts is to do it via a computer web browser
go to https://contacts.google.com/ and log into your google account

I’ve gone to settings and I can go to the Gmail account and it says synced. I’m not seeing a setting for turning on a contact. It also looks like there is a google settings icon, is the setting i’m looking for in that one?

Have you tried editing it on a computer (Link–> https://contacts.google.com/)?

also which app are you editing the contact on the phone (though the dialer(phone app) or though the contact app in the app drawer :appsicon:?

No I haven’t tried the link, i’m also at work and that may be blocked. I’m only going to enter a few every now and then, I’ve entered numbers into the phone before and they’ve been “synced” to an account. There should be a way to do that somehow through the phone still, i would think.

I’ve been trying through the dialer. I just tried through the contact in the app drawer. It will let me add an unsycned one.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.